• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sailor55330
    Established Member
    • Jan 2010

Harbor Freight Multifunction tool

Out of the box:

Comes with straight cutting blade, round cutting blade, scraper, and sander.

Pros:

Tool body is well made, machined aluminum and heavy abs plastic. Feels much more substantial than the orange Chicago Electric tools (it's maroon)
    Double insulated.
    Easy changing of attachments (30 secs or less)
    Good documentation with full diagrams
    $35 after sale & coupon

Cons:
    Loud--wear ear protection
    There isn't much resistance between the on/off position on the switch, but it's managable.
    Some attachments better than others

First Use:
    I needed to cut some oak baseboard while still on the wall. Decided to try this as it was much cheaper than the $99 competitors. With the straight blade, it went through the oak baseboard like butter. Easy to control, vibration wasn't bad. I then switched to the sanding attachment which honestly, wasn't very good. This could be due to the small area and the stock sandpaper, so I'm undecided on that. I then switched to the round blade--it went through schedule 40 pvc ok, but was a little more difficult to control. I haven't tried the scraper. I did try it on some scrap drywall, and it almost cut it too quickly.

The tool handle isn't very ergonomic, so users with smaller hands may not like it. I didn't have any trouble. I'd recommend opening the box first in store. Not having much experience, I can't really comment on the quality of the blades.

All in all, I need to play with it some more, but it could be a contender for the gem list when compared to competitors at $100 or more.

I've not done a real tool review, so hopefully this is helpful
    Last edited by sailor55330; 04-04-2011, 11:53 PM.
Working...