• Show
Clear All
  • pacwind3
    Established Member
    • Nov 2006
    • Vancouver, WA
    • Bosch 4100

Incra Universal Precision Positioning Jig

I picked this jig up when Rockler had a sale on it. If you bought the jig, you got the fence and right angle jigs free. Cost was $60 total. Normally about $120. (the $120 is the reason for the 4 for value. $60 is worth it, $120 is a bit high.)

I've watched the video probably three times now. My hope was that I could go into the shop and have an easy time setting it up. Essentially, I did have an easy time.
    I was going to make 1/2 blind dovetails for a drawer. The drawer width was critical to fit in the cabinet, but the drawer length didn't matter much.

I followed the instructions, made the test cuts. Took about 6 tests to get the bit height correct. Now that I have it, I'll cut a piece to keep with it.

I made one mistake, when you make your centering cut, you are then supposed to line up the "pattern strip" with the center. I forgot to do this so my dovetails weren't centered. This will keep the drawer front and back from lining up correctly with the drawer sides.
    I went ahead and cut off the dovetails, since it was in the sides anyway, and recut them after centering the "pattern strip".

After that it was pretty much smooth sailing.

If you were making multiple drawers the same size, this thing would be great! Mine are a total of 4 drawers and all different depths, so I would need to recenter the jig for each drawer. Not a really big deal though, just an extra step.

So far I really like the jig and think it will be very useful in my shop. I plan to build a really large wall mounted router station in the next few months, and I have incorporated the use of this jig in the design.
Working...