X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mashtun
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2007

Denali 3- by 48-Inch Medium Duty Bar Clamp

Well I bought some of these through the Bargain alert of a couple of days ago and someone asked

"I wonder how much flex you would get on this 48" bar."

So I decided to write a review.

First my subjective opinion. This is a very well built clamp. It is very heavy at about 7 lbs per clamp. It is also in my opinion heavier per foot, that other similar clamps that I own. In other words the 24 clamps I have don't weigh 3.5 lbs, they way more like two. The bar seems thicker in both dimensions that the 24 inchers. I suppose it has to be, because of the extra length.

The action is very smooth, and moving the clamping head along the bar is very easy. The head locks in very solidly.

The two heads are actually tilted in towards the work by about 3 degrees when not clamped, and compared to both my Striaght edge, and my 4 foot level the bar seems very striaght.

To test the Clamping force I used a piece of 4X4 pressure treated pine about 3 feet Nine Inches long, and clamped End grain to End grain, as if I was trying to make the piece shorter.

Once clamped the Heads moved to become right angles to the bar, and if you keep clamping then they will move out of a right angle away from the work by about 2 of 3 degrees.

I was able to apply enough clamping force that even with the rubber pad on the clamp side I was able to slightly dent, or leave a round inpression on the end grain of the 4x4.

During this the bar did not flex at all that I could tell. If it did it was not measurable by me.

As a disclaimer, I have never seen a really good quailty clamp like a Jorgenson, but I would have no problems recommmending these clamps.

John
Working...