• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warren
    Established Member
    • Jan 2003
    • Anchorage, Ak
    • BT3000

The original site was worth the money for me. I will wait to see if the new incarnation is as valuable.

If the desire is to reward the larger donation, send a free hat, shop apron, or some such. Red would suggest a free roll of duct tape, donor pays shipping.

As for me, if the changes appeal to me and I find them valuable, I will support the site.
    A man without a shillelagh, is a man without an expidient.

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

I think the same was mentioned when we first started and the results appear to be about the same, IIRC.
      I don't care to have a paid section either. Just a section for the Mods to conduct forum business.

I like the idea of swag for donations though. Once we get up and rolling good, I think we should look into that.
      Of course, that would mean someone would have to be in charge of shipping all those out as well as storing and inventory control.
      Not a hard job, but time consuming I would think.
      Lee

Comment

• jdon
        Established Member
        • Feb 2010
        • Snoqualmie, Wash.
        • BT3100

The only perk I need is the good feeling of contributing to a good cause- kind of like public radio (but a mug or tote bag aren't necessary!

Comment

• Ian57
          Forum Newbie
          • Sep 2012
          • Cocoa, Fl.
          • Delta 34-455 Contractors Saw

Originally posted by jdon
          The only perk I need is the good feeling of contributing to a good cause- kind of like public radio (but a mug or tote bag aren't necessary!
          + 1 for this

Comment

• BobSch
            • Aug 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Quote:
            Originally Posted by jdon

+ 1 for this

Me, too. If my cash helps keep the site up and running, that's enough.
            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

I voted No, but can't think of anything I'd want access to as part of a paid subscription that we'd have legal rights to make available...

But I'd be interested in the idea of escalating perks to incentivize various tiers of membership. We have that now with enhanced user features for the basic subscription, which is good, but maybe hat a the next level, etc.
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• jussi
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007

No as well. Forum is too small for that and in even the larger ones few people post there. One suggestion is to have a woodworking competition where patrons are only ones allowed to enter and/or vote for the winner.
                I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• Warren
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Anchorage, Ak
                  • BT3000

After rereading the question and all of the responses I have a question: What are the membership funds going for? I understand that costs need to be covered so that those doing the work have out of pocket costs covered. I have, in the past, paid the "patron" cost more than once in a year when the fund drive seemed stuck. I further acknowledge that many members are unwilling or unable to contribute much. Some members, I am sure, contribute more than they can really afford as they valued the site as much as I do.

This brings me to the question: how much money is going to be needed annually to fund the site so that those running the operation do not have to subsidize the operation with out-of-pocket monies?

What are the costs? Monthly and annually? Hardware and software? I'm not asking for a budget or an accounting. In spite of my years as a copper I'm taking the honesty of the members running the site for granted. However, I do seem to remember that Sam, more than once, covered unforeseen costs and I'm betting that he was not totally reimbursed. I'd bet that he didn't tell us about every incident either.

I think that it should be the goal of the persons now running the site to attempt to raise enough money to cover annual costs with an amount in resting in an interest bearing account sufficient to cover most unforeseen expenses.

So, is someone in this collection of neer-do-wells, retirees, odd balls and other assorted individuals with too much time on their hands (and you all know who you are) keeping track of the monies being spent, needed and formulating some sort of budget. In other words, is there a plan?

Is there a need to increase membership? Is there a desire to increase membership? Does the site need more money? Is the personality of the site to change drastically or remain comparatively small and well focused? Am I just stirring things up needlessly?

None of these many questions really need to be addressed on the site, I just wanted to make sure that they were asked and are being considered by the members donating so much time, knowledge, and effort to keep the site running.

Comment

• greenacres2
                    • Dec 2011
                    • La Porte, IN
                    • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by jussi
                    No as well. Forum is too small for that and in even the larger ones few people post there. One suggestion is to have a woodworking competition where patrons are only ones allowed to enter and/or vote for the winner.
                    I've had a project idea ever since i read of the "2 x 6 Challenge" of the past--but i've not taken action in hopes of one day having another challenge. Oh, and because i keep forgetting about what i thought of!!

Neither my plan nor my skill set will make me a contender, but i'll be an entrant when the time comes--so not to worry!! Once the transformation bugs are under control--a competition would be great. I can't believe some of the past entrants, absolutely incredible (chess set, hall table, and others).

earl

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by Warren
                      After rereading the question and all of the responses I have a question: What are the membership funds going for? I understand that costs need to be covered so that those doing the work have out of pocket costs covered. I have, in the past, paid the "patron" cost more than once in a year when the fund drive seemed stuck. I further acknowledge that many members are unwilling or unable to contribute much. Some members, I am sure, contribute more than they can really afford as they valued the site as much as I do.

This brings me to the question: how much money is going to be needed annually to fund the site so that those running the operation do not have to subsidize the operation with out-of-pocket monies?

What are the costs? Monthly and annually? Hardware and software? I'm not asking for a budget or an accounting. In spite of my years as a copper I'm taking the honesty of the members running the site for granted. However, I do seem to remember that Sam, more than once, covered unforeseen costs and I'm betting that he was not totally reimbursed. I'd bet that he didn't tell us about every incident either.

I think that it should be the goal of the persons now running the site to attempt to raise enough money to cover annual costs with an amount in resting in an interest bearing account sufficient to cover most unforeseen expenses.

So, is someone in this collection of neer-do-wells, retirees, odd balls and other assorted individuals with too much time on their hands (and you all know who you are) keeping track of the monies being spent, needed and formulating some sort of budget. In other words, is there a plan?

Is there a need to increase membership? Is there a desire to increase membership? Does the site need more money? Is the personality of the site to change drastically or remain comparatively small and well focused? Am I just stirring things up needlessly?

None of these many questions really need to be addressed on the site, I just wanted to make sure that they were asked and are being considered by the members donating so much time, knowledge, and effort to keep the site running.
                      Some answers are contained in this thread: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=56300
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• chopnhack
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Mark, I think that in the future it would be better to just cut and paste as a new post..... kinda creepy having mods make changes like that to old stuff.
                        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Black wallnut
                          cycling to health
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                          • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by chopnhack
                          Mark, I think that in the future it would be better to just cut and paste as a new post..... kinda creepy having mods make changes like that to old stuff.
                          Interesting that you mention this. The "copy post" function did not work how I thought it would. The software preserves chronological order no matter what and yes sometimes that is just weird. Thanks for the feedback.
                          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• chopnhack
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • Florida
                            • Ryobi BT3100

I meant click and ctrl - c

How BT3Central is funded
                            Here's a brief FAQ regarding the funding of BT3Central.com...

Changes will appear in red italic.

Q: Who pays for BT3Central?
                            A: You do! BT3Central is a user-supported resource, much like public television or public radio. We run on the principal "if you like what you see here, make a contribution to ensure that it sticks around."

Q: OK, how do I contribute?
                            A: The shortcut is to click here. It's always available via the "Paid Subscriptions" link in your "User CP". Additionally, at the beginning of each calendar year we have a "Fund Drive" and the funding information is linked to in the header of the site.

Q: Do I get anything special for contributing?

A: BT3Central has designated members who contribute financially as "patrons". There are four levels of patrons: Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum with the contribution amounts of $10, $25, $50 and $100 respectively. Patrons are extended a few "perks" for contributing but all patrons have the same perks, regardless of their "level". Currently, those perks are:

Use of the "Gallery" feature to host images for posting. Unlike the "Attach image" feature all users have, the Gallery pictures can easily be inserted into any post.
                            Higher limit of number of images
                            Custom Avatars of a larger size
                            Once Google Adsense is implemented patrons will not see the Adsense ads. All members will continue to see affiliate partners ads.
                            A warm fuzzy feeling deep within your heart.

Q: Is the fund drive the only source of funds for BT3Central?
                            A: No. BT3Central also has "affiliate agreements" with a few online retailers. Info on that can be found in this post. Historically, affiliates revenue accounts for about 1.7% of the annual BT3Central budget.

Q: What regular expenses does BT3Central have?

A: The fixed costs of BT3Central include:

Server payment.
                            Broadband service for Sam dbhost to facilitate backup. (This was discussed here. )
                            Yearly domain name renewals

Q: What happens if BT3Central takes in more than the requested amount in a year? Does someone make money?

A: I hope not. BT3Central is not a corporation and it's tax ID number is my SSN owned by The Sawdust Foundation, INC. and we will be filing as a 501c3 nonprofit. I'm not looking to make money so I try to spend all of the income on "business related expenses" so as to never turn a profit. I always incur a tax penalty from year to year, but it's not enough for me to worry about. In the event of a surplus, I try to find things to spend the money on that will benefit the site. In the past the surplus has been used for:

Services and equipment to facilitate regular nightly backups
                            An additional hard drive for the server to host images on
                            Additional softwares for add features like chat, image Gallery, log file analysis and website management

Q: Why should I give? The fund drive is over and all the requested money was raised.
                            A: I set the fundraiser amount based on the bare essential amount needed to maintain BT3Central at the same level as the previous year. Obviously, there is room for improvement and additions. As Surplus funds are built, I begin to investigate ideas for upgrades and enhancements as well as anything else that might benefit the community. Besides that, contributing financially, at any level, is an indication of support for what we provide here at BT3Central.

Q: Are there any new expenses not already mentioned?
                            A: Yes, the cost of incorporation and filing. We may also need to purchase a new license for the forum software, which is yet to be determined.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison
                            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• pelligrini
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2007
                              • Fort Worth, TX
                              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by chopnhack
                              I meant click and ctrl - c
                              One will loose all the formatting (Bold, italics, etc.) just copying it from a post. To preserve the formatting you can quote a post (or get into an edit window) and then copy it. Once copied, cancel the quote or edit, then paste it into a new post.
                              Erik

Comment

• Warren
                                Established Member
                                • Jan 2003
                                • Anchorage, Ak
                                • BT3000

As I said in my post, there is no need to address the questions on the thread. I posited the questions simply to insure that they were being considered and addressed, as this is a good time to make considered alterations to the previous incarnation of the site, if needed or desired by the new operators.

My main concern is that there are adequate monies available at all times so that unforeseen expenses do not cause someone to have to spend private monies and hope for reimbursement. A large, unanticipated cost can always be met with a special fund raising. I do not want to see responsible parties nickled and dimed to distraction.

Again, these are only concerns that I hope are addressed as changes are considered and not in a thread.

Comment

Working...