• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hermit
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Somerset, PA, USA.

Non-turned: Beach Chairs

I'm confused. What do you mean 40 ft away? 40 ft from the end of the hose?[:0] If thats the case, something's big time wrong with mine!

Todd
  • meika123
    • Dec 2002
    • Advance, NC, USA.
    • BT3000

quote:Originally posted by hermit

I'm confused. What do you mean 40 ft away? 40 ft from the end of the hose?[:0] If thats the case, something's big time wrong with mine!

Todd
    Come on Todd. I wish. My longest run of ductwork is approx. 40 ft. from the collector-including vertical and horizontal runs.
    But seriousl0y, it really does "suck" now, without the restrictions of the filters. My system really loses a ton of efficiency when dropping down to a smaller diameter hose though.
    I don't really think there's much wrong with yours. But mine and Lee's really "SUCK".

Dave in NC
    Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• Randy in IN.
      Forum Newbie
      • Jan 2003
      • Mooreland, Indiana, USA.

Dave,
      Don't forget mine too !!!
      Thanks
      Randy

Wherever you go, there you are.
      www.monster-wood-tool.com

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

Yep! Randy's too!
        Okay. What is the test? Have we came up with a test yet that we all can try?

You know, with what we were able to accomplish with this simple design, I have to think that the smaller ended CFM DC offered by the major brands are pretty much a gimick. They could easily give you enough CFM with a little larger impeller to handle a medium sized shop for the same cost as the low ended ones. I reckon they might be in it for the money.

Lee

Lee

Comment

• meika123
          • Dec 2002
          • Advance, NC, USA.
          • BT3000

Aw Lee, bite your tongue. You know that isn't the case.
          Sorry Randy, I didn't mean to leave you out. How is yours doing? Still happy as I am?
          One thing I don't fully understand. I have been noticing the sizes of impellers in commercial DC's. I have noticed there is (ie a 650 cfm DC with a 10 3/4" impeller, then a 1900 cfm DC with a 12" impeller.
          Does a 2" larger diameter in the impeller make that great a difference? The only difference I can see is a larger motor. Is there a difference in the pitch of the blades-much like a boat propeller? I am confused-which is the state I normally reside in.
          Somebody help me-PLEASE..
          Thanks,

Dave in NC

Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

Well, you have to take into account the actual motor speed, the number of fins, the angle of the fins, how much air is in the housing around the impeller.
            At the speeds these things run, an inch or two would make a big difference too.
            That help yer head any?

Lee

Lee

Comment

• hermit
              Established Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Somerset, PA, USA.

I think we should all move up to 3450 rpm motors![}] Then we'll see how they compare to those store bought ones!

Randy, you must have built yours before I got interested, or, wait a minute ..... are you the one with the belt and pulley set-up? That is a sweet setup! Lee posted a link for it for me to look at, but it was too advanced for me at the time. I said to myself "not going there yet!" But you DO have a 3450 rpm if I remember correctly.[8D]

Todd

BTW, thanks alot guys. LOML claims I can't stay away from the DC. She thinks I am obsessed with it! I remember way back when I first contemplated making one last year but chickened out, Dave said it was a very gratifying undertaking. You were correct, Sir!

I also want to honestly thank you all for your guidance. Couldn't have done it without you guys!!

Comment

• Randy in IN.
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2003
                • Mooreland, Indiana, USA.

Todd,
                Yea, I have a 3450rpm 2hp, but I never have had the courage to spin it that fast, I've got it throttled back to about 2600 rpm, that seems to be about the best rpm's for my application. I played around with different pulley combinations, until I got what I thought was the best setup. I had looked at a lot of different types of applications of dust collectors in different shops around, both commercial and home brews. When I ran across Lee's web page, I thought that his dust collector was a good design, that could provide me with the suction that I needed and with the pulley type setup I could play a little bit with the rpm's to tweak it a little. Right now I don't have the time to mess with it that much.
                Sorry for the long post.
                Thanks,
                Randy

Wherever you go, there you are.
                www.monster-wood-tool.com

Comment

• dkhoward
                  • Dec 2003
                  • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
                  • bt3000

Non-turned: Beach Chairs

Ok, I had a request for bigger pics. I edited and uploaded some larger images. Hope these are better dkh

Well, here they are. Two beach chairs, cut from a single piece of off the rack redwood from Home Depot. What look like dowels at the tops are turned using a jig and a router (no lathe). And I also sewed the backs. They are finished with 4 coats of wiped on Minwax poly.

As you can see, the chairs collapes by nesting the seat portion inside the rails of the back to make for easy carrying.
                  Dennis K Howard
                  www.geocities.com/dennishoward
                  "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

• cobob
                    Established Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Rolla, MO, USA.
                    • BT3100

Sweet!! My kids would love some. What did you use to hinge/swivel the legs, and how did you stretch the fabric, and what fabric did you use?

Comment

• dkhoward
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Lubbock, Texas, USA.
                      • bt3000

Cobob,
                      There is no hinge or swivel. The seat portion fits thru two offset cross braces on the back. WHen you pull it out, the seat portion nests into the back of the upright portion of the frame.

The fabric back fits thru a slot routed into each upright. A dowel slides into a pocket sewn into the fabric. This pulls the back tight and also makes it easy to remove, replace and toss in the laundry when it needs it.

I will try and scan the instructions that I give away with the chairs and I think I have a set of measured drawings in deltacad3 if you are interested.
                      Dennis K Howard
                      www.geocities.com/dennishoward
                      "An elephant is nothing more than a mouse built to government specifications." Robert A Heinlein

Comment

Working...