• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thalermade
    • Dec 2002
    • Ohio
    • BT 3000

Non-turned: Side table

I believe this is the guy you are looking for.

• Chuck C
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • USA.

Thats the one, Thanks

Chuck C

"You can accept, reject, or examine and test any new idea that comes to you. The wise man chooses the third way."
    - Tom Willhite
    Chuck C

If the skipper heard you call that deck a floor he would throw you through that little round window

Comment

• Brian G
      • Jun 2003
      • Bloomington, Minnesota.
      • G0899

Non-turned: Side table

Click image for larger version

Name:	frontview.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	854011

Click image for larger version

Name:	topview.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	854012

Dimensions are 21.75w x 12.25d x 29.875t. Legs were rift sawn and tapered. Apron pieces were re-sawn and joined to legs by tenons. The top field was re-sawn and bookmatched. Top edging was oriented edge-grain up, tongue and grooved to the field, and corner mitered. The top was attached by screws through corner braces from offcuts. Drawer bottom pieces were oriented edge-grain up in grooved drawer sides. The drawer pull is a ½ plug; drawer runners were from offcuts. Finish is seal coat of 1-lb garnet shellac, mahogany gel stain, three coats 1-lb garnet shellac, and 4 coats wipe-on poly.
      Last edited by cphelps; 02-11-2023, 05:35 PM.
      Brian

Comment

• gerti
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Hi Brian,

I really like the lightness and the lines of your side table. Today I saw the WW guild exhibition at Southdale Mall, and I would not have been surprised to see your side table their between all the other master pieces! I will never look at a 2x6 the same again.

Gerd

Comment

• Brian G
          • Jun 2003
          • Bloomington, Minnesota.
          • G0899

Thanks, Gerd. It's kind of you to say that. I didn't know that the WW guild was exhibiting at Southdale. I should have gone to see what was there.

Right now, the table is being used as a place to set our telephone. The drawer makes a nice place for the pen nobody can find when they need to take a message, and the post-it notes.

Pardon me as I wax philosophical (slicone-free philosophical waxing!). I wanted to make something that was simple, but elegant, and highlighted the beauty of the wood rather than obscure it. I'd wager that I sorted through about 50 boards before I found the one I used. I wasn't so much concerned about finding a board with few knots, I was more looking for a board that had some straight grain (for the legs) and some wavy grain (for the top).

I really like how the top came out. I didn't notice the "Monarch butterfly effect" on the top until after I applied the finish. It's more noticeable if you look at it from the end of the table, but if you tilt your head to the right you can see it in the first picture.

For the legs, I used a technique that I read in one of the woodworking mags (Pop. Wood?) several months ago. Basically, it amounts to sawing square blanks so that the end grain runs diagonal. That gives the appearance of riftsawn, so it eliminates the face grain of flatsawn wood.

I attempted to fit the design to the "Golden Rectangle", but my board was about 4" shy of usable wood (bad checks on each end) to accomplish that for the top. I came close.

All-in-all it was a fun project, for a good purpose.
          Brian

Comment

• gerti
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
            • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

All that careful thought you put into this sure shows in the final result!

The WW guild exhibition was quite something. Even though I meant to go every year, it took a coincidence for me to finally catch one... I will try hard not to miss them anymore. Almost all the woodworkers were right there next to their pieces, and happily shared details and ideas. I had a number of very nice conversations there. Anyhow the results and some photos are sure to show up on their website soon: http://www.minnesotawoodworkersguild.com/

Gerd

Comment

Working...