• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Here's An Idea

We don't have a dedicated "Introductions" section. Many forums do. It enables newcomers to introduce themselves and offer some background, or interests. We know that many new members don't fill out their profile, or even at the least, their location. Knowing their location would help in answering questions about working processes for that area, or what might be available to them.

It could be explained that filing out a profile may answer many questions. They may be hesitant to divulge what may be considered "personal information". I've noticed that an introduction section can offer the opportunity to feel more of a group member. In doing so, responses could make the new member feel more at home, as there will be welcoming responses. I started this thread 4 years ago, and although it's not an introduction section, it has been an ongoing format for lurkers, current and new members to participate.

This is just a suggestion, and comments are welcomed.

• Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

I do like the idea. Most other forums that I participate in that have a welcome section also has several members who moderate that section and also respond to every single new thread there. For this to work we need folks willing and able to reply so that newcomers do feel welcome. So as you are commenting on this thread with a thumbs up are you wiling to be that person?
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dusty
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2012
      • AZ
      • Shopsmith Mark V Model 520 and a Mark V Model 510 with a BT3K Rail Kit, SMT, and Router Table

I can understand not providing a lot of personal information. In fact, I would strongly recommend - no street addresses and no telephone numbers. But to simply disclose the town in which you make saw dust should not be too revealing.

I have found near neighbors who share the wood working interest this way.

Comment

• cabinetman
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Over 100 views and no further comments?? This is not a difficult subject. There's no scientific answer necessary, just an opinion.

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

It would be cool I think, however I rarely use that topic on other forums. Some forums I only use for research and I'm only there to get the info I need. Especially true if I know very little about the subject matter.
          I think there might be a lot of people use most forums in a similar fashion.
          Those that might want to contribute though might also want an introduction spot.
          I'm in.
          Lee

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

I'm not sure how many would use it (unless it was a required part of the membership process). I think most folks just jump right in after clearing membership, and intro themselves in the midst of their first post. I like one forum where everyone has to use their real names as user names, but some don't care for that loss of anonymity.

You could always build it, and see if it gets used.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
              I'm not sure how many would use it (unless it was a required part of the membership process). I think most folks just jump right in after clearing membership, and intro themselves in the midst of their first post.

You could always build it, and see if it gets used.
              Sometimes their introduction (if they do one) is lost in their first thread. With as little response as to just having an intro section, it's likely that even if new members used it their welcome would be minimum if any. That might be enough of a turn off to new members.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

I watch threads, but miss them sometimes due to other duties. I missed this one. Some people have an affinity for NO information what so ever.

I work at a center that distributes food and clothes to needy families. You would be surprised how many ask for clothes and food and will NOT give us any information other than their name and address. They say we have no business knowing this. We tell them this is for needy and we cannot take their word for it only. IF we cannot get a verification of their need, we will not be able to give them clothes or food. We have even stopped getting verification by a "pastor's" word too because the pastors are often too gullible as to people's needs. Got plenty of stories on that.

Some people do not want to give out any information but want full benefits.

OTOH, I worked with folks that lived in "security" regions and even I had to use VPN for communications with them. Even when I was back home (USA) and communicated with certain folks, I had to go through VPN. These friends could not even join web sites like this one unless it was through a name that was totally non-associative with their work, place or real name. And they could not access it while overseas, only when back in the States or in a safe country.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

We don't have a dedicated area, but everyone has the "About Me" tab on their profile. I have looked there when I wanted to know more about a person, if they have any info written there.
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...