Testing a theory

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mudder
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • 1532
    • I live in a house
    • Delta 36-650

    #1

    Testing a theory

    I cut up some wood strips:





    Glued them together.





    Cut em up reglued them and turned this pen:





    Made a few mistakes but the next one will be better.

    What do you think of it. Please be honest (you won't hurt my feelings)

  • Dick Parr
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2005
    • 18
    • Knoxville, TN, USA.

    #2
    That is really beautiful. Very unique and different, but a very nice different.

    Really a wonderful job.
    Dick

    Comment

    • monte
      ***** Windbag
      • Dec 2002
      • 5242
      • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
      • GI 50-185M

      #3
      I like it! Looks very nice!
      Monte (another darksider)
      Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

      http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

      Comment

      • boblon
        Senior Member
        • Aug 2003
        • 727
        • Florida, USA.

        #4
        Very interesting. And very nice looking.

        I've meant to mention this before, so I'll say it now;

        Mudder, you regularly show a lot of creativity and imagination in your work and I for one look forward to seeing what you come up with.

        Just wanted to get that off my chest.

        I look forward to seeing what you do next.

        Thanks,
        BobL.
        "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

        Comment

        • Whaler
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • 3281
          • Sequim, WA, USA.
          • DW746

          #5
          Nice touch, it shows some imagination. I like it.
          Dick

          http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

          Comment

          • chriscombs
            Forum Newbie
            • Apr 2005
            • 31
            • Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA.

            #6
            That is really a nice looking pen! I now feel much better about never throwing the little stuff away. Very inspired.

            Comment

            • Jim Ketron
              Forum Newbie
              • Jul 2005
              • 68
              • Weber City, Va, USA.

              #7
              Nice looking pen! Great Job!
              (Have Chainsaw-Will Travel) please visit my web site http://home.earthlink.net/~jimandkrista/

              Comment

              • gerti
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2003
                • 2233
                • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

                #8
                Very nice! Something I wanted to try myself, so I hope you don't mind some questions:

                Did you cut the strips on the BT?
                Did the strips require any additional surface treatment before you glued them together?
                What kind of glue did you use, and did it work well?

                And just out of curiosity: Maple, Walnut and Bloodwood?

                Gerd

                Comment

                • Ken Massingale
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • 3862
                  • Liberty, SC, USA.
                  • Ridgid TS3650

                  #9
                  That's extra nice, Scott. I sure don't see any mistakes.
                  ken

                  Comment

                  • mudder
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • 1532
                    • I live in a house
                    • Delta 36-650

                    #10
                    quote:Originally posted by gerti

                    Very nice! Something I wanted to try myself, so I hope you don't mind some questions:

                    Did you cut the strips on the BT?
                    Did the strips require any additional surface treatment before you glued them together?
                    What kind of glue did you use, and did it work well?

                    And just out of curiosity: Maple, Walnut and Bloodwood?

                    Gerd
                    I did not use the BT because I sold it a long time ago (yep, I'm a turncoat) although the BT probably would have worked better. The strips were intended foe another project and were cut on the bandsaw.

                    Since the strips were intended for another project they started off thicker so I sanded them to thickness on the Performax drum sander (approx 3/32").

                    The glue was titebond 3 for the lamination because it was on hand and the resawn pieces were glued together using thick CA. Both worked very well although any good wood glue would have been fine for the lamination.

                    The woods used were Maple, Walnut and Padauk.

                    Blank was cut at 60 degree angle and then cut triangular so that when reglued the four sides all have the same pattern.

                    Hope this helps.

                    Comment

                    • gerti
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • 2233
                      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

                      #11
                      Thanks much for the details, Mudder!

                      Gerd

                      Comment

                      • kwgeorge
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • 1419
                        • Alvin, TX, USA.

                        #12
                        Scott, that is an impressive pen to say the least.

                        Comment

                        • onedash
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2005
                          • 1013
                          • Maryland
                          • Craftsman 22124

                          #13
                          thats pretty cool. How did you get the arched shapes? I guess you cant let the clamps get to far apart when you glue it up huh?
                          Would it be possible to get a similar result routing it on a molding or I imagine it would all be straight lines hey?
                          Well thats pretty awsome. I don't have a lathe and got quite a few things on the list before I get to one.
                          semper fi
                          YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

                          Comment

                          Working...