Question from a non-turner

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • rbfunk
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • 400
    • Garfield, NJ, USA.

    #1

    Question from a non-turner

    I want to make an espresso tamper for my wife that will involved making a knob app 2" in diameter by 2.5" long. Recently I saw an article in a wood working magazine that had people without a lathe turning a similar knob using a drillpress and rasp and files. My concern with that procedure would be the side load on the drill press. My fist thought was to make some sort of live center to support the bottom of the turning but I am also wondering if a simple rod in a hole would work.
    Another complication is that it will probably take several test pieces in cheap wood before I move to the hardwood. I haven't decided what wood I am going to use yet. Possibilities are Cherry, Hickory and Oak.
    So, do you think I maight ruin my DP? Or can I pull this off if I rough cut the blanks to close to the fininshed shape before going to the rasps, files, and sandpaper while supprting the lower end.
    Thanks for your time
    Bob
    Oh what a tangled web we weave, when we are all hopped up on caffine.
  • Jim Boyd
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • 1766
    • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
    • Delta Unisaw

    #2
    I think you would have to make a bunch of the to hurt your DP. Or have a really bad DP to begin with I have seen where a nail was used for a tail center and a lag bolt for the drive center.
    Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

    Comment

    • Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • 2507
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

      #3
      Several comments:

      - This project is well-suited for this less than ideal turning setup because you just need a nice, solid, mostly round mass for a tamper -- no frilly work required.

      - I know someone used to make a center like the one you described specifically for turning, but it may be hard to find. But I just recently saw the same mechanism for use with sanding drums, where the same lateral force concern applies. Can't remember where, though (Rockler? Klingspor?)

      - A DIY approach which is one step up from a rod (which might produce too much friction, or have too much play) would be a rod held in a roller bearing. The roller bearing could be held in a fixture that you bolt to the DP table.

      - If this approach to turning itself doesn't give a "wow" result, you could add some pizazz by using an interesting lamination. Here's the tamper I made -- one of my first lathe projects, which is a very simple and easy lamination of walnut and maple:







      Then, of course, I had to have a knock box (padauk and maple):





      Regards,
      Tom

      Comment

      Working...