• Show
Clear All
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

Turning Cherry

I picked up some 8/4 cherry to turn some bottle stoppers that my ex boss ordered. His only request is that they have a nice warm color close to his cabinets.

I have never worked with cherry so any hints from those that have would be appreciated.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/
  • Maax
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2003
    • Yakima, Washington, USA.

I haven't turned lots of cherry but have made band saw boxes with it. And the one thing I noticed right away was how easily it burns. Other than that I understand that its nice to turn and finish.

Comment

• don_hart
      Veteran Member
      • May 2003
      • Ledayrd, CT, USA.

Well I can speak from alot of experience but I have turned a bowl from cherry and it turned well.
      Don Hart

You live and learn. At any rate you live.

www.hartwoodcrafts.com

Comment

• CrashResq
        Established Member
        • Apr 2003
        • Okmulgee, OK, USA
        • Ryobi BT3100

Haven't chimed in in a while. I turn a lot of Oklahoma wild cherry (I can get it pretty cheap) and it's a wonderful wood to work with. It will burn easy when sawing, but it turns very nicely. It will also darken if placed in direct sunlight (kind of like purpleheart)
        Bill (in OK)

Comment

• kwgeorge
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2004
          • Alvin, TX, USA.

Cherry is a favorite wood for the beginner woodturner as it is strait grained and easily machined. It is very forgiving with a bit of sanding and is a pleasure to turn. The heartwood is darker but to get the darkness you wish, you may want to apply a light coat of Cherry stain.

Comment

• SteveR
            Established Member
            • Feb 2003
            • USA.

quote:Originally posted by CrashResq

It will also darken if placed in direct sunlight (kind of like purpleheart)
            I have never turned with it, but will try now with all of the ease of working comments. I have used it in flat work. Crash brings up a good point. Give it a suntan...it works pretty well. Cut off a small piece to experiment with and cover 1/2 of it with something that will not let sunlight to it. Then set it out for a day or two and take off the cover to see the difference. I think the more you leave it out the darker it gets, much like how cherry naturally darkens with age.
            Steve

Comment

• RayintheUK
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2003
              • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
              • Ryobi BT3000

Dick,

You'll love it - very nice to turn, kind on the tools, easy to finish.

Ray.
              Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• Whaler
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Sequim, WA, USA.
                • DW746

I turned 4 pens after work today, beautiful wood to work with. I now need to go to my local stain manufacturer and have them brew me the color I want. Then I will tackle the bottle stoppers.

Kind of a nice warm feeling when the guy that laid you off because he couldn't afford you orders 5 pens and 3 stoppers. He didn't quite reach the quantity discount level but he will get the best that I can do.
                Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

Working...