• Show
Clear All
  • messmaker
    Veteran Member
    • May 2004
    • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
    • Ridgid 2424

jumping in

I have ended up with some turning tools but guess what? I need a lathe. Do I just get the $180 HF or can I expect to find a better deal used? I seem to run in to Craftsman lathes with a pipe bed. They don't look as rugged and not a ton cheaper. i have been warned to stay away from the stamped steel lathe as it will not hold up. What about it?
    spellling champion Lexington region 1982
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

I can't comment on that HF lathe, possibly some one else has used one and can give you some info.

What are you planing on turning? How big?

If you don't need a full size lathe the Jet 1014 is hard to beat. I don't have the VS model and find that adjusting the belts for speed changes is a minor slow down.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• messmaker
      Veteran Member
      • May 2004
      • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
      • Ridgid 2424

I am not sure what I will end up turning. I did some spindle turning years ago and really liked it so I will probably start there. I might try a bowl or something like that. I don't think I am interested in pen turning.

Comment

• gerti
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

For the money the HF lathe works quite well.

Comment

• wassaw998
          • Jul 2004
          • Atlanta, GA, USA.

I agree with Gerti.

If money is an issue, I can recommend the HF 34706. It goes on "sale" all the time for around $189, plus they have 10% off type coupons routinely, so you can get it for a pretty good price. If you compare that sized lathe, there is nothing real close in price range. I am very happy with mine. It is the only HF piece of machinery I own. The stand it comes with for me was way too flimsey, I never used it. I put mine on a very heavy home made stand , with a 2 layer 3/4" MDF top, and then weighed that down with about 250lbs of sand. Very solid under that set up. To date all I have done is spindle type work, I have no regrets on the HF lathe purchase.
          Chris

Comment

• RayintheUK
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2003
            • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Bruce,

I've no experience of the lathe, sorry. However, I would advise that if you go down the chuck-purchase route later on, get one that has replaceable inserts (where it threads on to the headstock). That way, if you later upgrade the lathe, you'll be able to take the chuck to the new one for the price of an insert (sod's law says that they'll be different threads).

Ray.
            Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• gerti
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2003
              • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
              • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

quote:Originally posted by RayintheUK

Bruce,

I've no experience of the lathe, sorry. However, I would advise that if you go down the chuck-purchase route later on, get one that has replaceable inserts (where it threads on to the headstock). That way, if you later upgrade the lathe, you'll be able to take the chuck to the new one for the price of an insert (sod's law says that they'll be different threads).

Ray.
              That 34706 HF lathe has a MT2 taper and 1'' X 8 Tpi threads. That is compatible with many lathes. But I agree about getting a chuck with replaceable inserts, just to be safe.

Gerd

Comment

• messmaker
                Veteran Member
                • May 2004
                • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                • Ridgid 2424

The 35706 is on sale for $199 right now. I know it is the best deal but it will push my budget after I get tools and some wood. I have found 2 Craftsman lathes that are less than $100. I also can get the cheaper 45276 for $75 right now. It is rated at 5.5 amps and has a MT#2 live center. It is a 14x40 lathe. Should I jump in with one of the cheaper lathes(If so which one?) or save and get the cast iron HF model next time it goes on sale?[?][?][?]

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

quote:Originally posted by messmaker

The 35706 is on sale for $199 right now.
                  This HF lathe sure does look suspiciously similar to the JET JWL-1236, both in their pictures and in their specs. Visually, the main difference is the location of the power switches. Spec-wise, the minimum/maximum speeds are different, and there's about a 1-1/2" difference in the between-centers dimensions.

Does anyone know if they are the same, or are mostly the same? If the HF isn't the exact same lathe as the JET, it's one **** of a close copy.
                  Larry

Comment

• RayintheUK
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2003
                    • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                    • Ryobi BT3000

quote:Originally posted by LarryG

Does anyone know if they are the same, or are mostly the same? If the HF isn't the exact same lathe as the JET, it's one **** of a close copy.
                    As far as I'm aware, the WMH Tool Group does not manufacture for other retailers to "badge." However, many Far Eastern clones are now available which are best described as "lookalikes" - because they are nowhere near to the quality and standard of the "real thing."

An example of this is the Hegner Variable Speed Scroll Saw. This machine is the accepted world-standard machine for both professional and educational use and has been for several years.

An "Axminster" clone became available in the UK for less than half the price. It LOOKED identical (apart from the color), but was actually a piece of crap, with low grade motor, table, tensioning system, switchgear, etc. It doesn't seem to be available any more (granted that scroll saws are a low-volume market).

With few exceptions, you get what you pay for.

Ray
                    Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• kwgeorge
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Alvin, TX, USA.

Well, it is my understanding that the casting for these lathes including the Jet version all come from the same plant in China. I am afraid they are way beyond reversed engineered clones. I have measured and compared my Grizzly to the Jet down to the finest details and there is little difference at all. Other than the color and the amount of Bondo used to fill the exposed areas of casting flaws. What I have found to be different is the motors, tool rests and power switch location. Currently in the US there are 4 versions of this lathe, 2 in Australia, 1 in England and a couple more farther north of that. These are what I came across once while just searching around.

Now, to these statements I have proof. Not in this particular lathe but rather the 9X20 metal lathes that Jet, Enco, Grizzly, Harbor Freight and several others retail. In the case of this lathe it had been proven that they all come from the same Chinese factory and basically the difference is how well it is cleaned up when you buy it and the color.

As much as I like and respect you and your work Ray I must adamantly disagree with your statements. With Chinese power tools I have found that there are both Pigs and Pearls. This particular lathe for the price is considered one of the best options for entry level into turning on most sites on the net. Although I have modified my Grizzly over time to do away with minor things that I found bothersome I believe that I have made quite a nice selection of product on my Cheap Chinese Clone and it started my journey and my love of turning. Even now with the Addition of the Nova 3K I have no intention of letting go of my Grizzly.

Not everyone has several thousand dollars to plunk down on what will be a hobby. Especially when they are not even sure that this is what they want to do. I personally would much rather shell out a couple hundred bucks and later lose interest than 10 times that amount. It is all in what you want to do and how you want to get there.

My 2 cents on the subject.

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                        • Delta Unisaw

quote:Originally posted by messmaker

The 35706 is on sale for $199 right now. I know it is the best deal but it will push my budget after I get tools and some wood. I have found 2 Craftsman lathes that are less than $100. I also can get the cheaper 45276 for $75 right now. It is rated at 5.5 amps and has a MT#2 live center. It is a 14x40 lathe. Should I jump in with one of the cheaper lathes(If so which one?) or save and get the cast iron HF model next time it goes on sale?[?][?][?]
                        You will be upgrading your lathe at some point. The HF 34706 will not be outgrown as fast as the other lathes you mention.
                        Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• gerti
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2003
                          • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                          • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

The bed of the 45276 is stamped steel, and it will flex. All comments I have heard were to stay away from it.

Gerd

Comment

• LarryG
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2004
                            • Off The Back
                            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Bruce, you said the HF 35706 is on sale for $199. Did you see this in an HF store? I've checked the online division's web site, and have looked at the current retail sale flyer on the HFUSA site, and I'm not seeing the sale price.
                            Larry

Comment

• messmaker
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2004
                              • RICHMOND, KY, USA.
                              • Ridgid 2424

I made a token bid on E-bay for the 45276 and won it for $37. it is close enough to pick up. I feel sure I can get my $ back. I think I will mount it on some MDF and fill the stamped tubes with concrete. That should stiffen it up a little. I think the tools at HF will like $5 costing as much as the lathe. One more for the colection.[^][^][^]

Comment

Working...