• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jnesmith
    • Jan 2003
    • Tallahassee, FL, USA.

A New Lathe for $99

Including shipping.

I don't know if this is a bargain or not, so I didn't post it upstairs.

This is cheaper than other "mini's" I've seen. Is this a mini mini? Don't know a thing about lathes, except that I want one sometime in the near future.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...976907-6857715
    John
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Hmm, that's interesting, provided someone doesn't jump in and report that it's a POS.

Wilton is a respected name, and part of the WMH Tool Group (JET, Powermatic, Performax, etc) so that part, at least, seems solid.

It's 2/5HP and 12" between centers, vs. 1/2HP and 14" for the JET mini. All cast iron. Variable speed, even.

Interesting.
    Larry

Comment

• kwgeorge
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Alvin, TX, USA.

This lathe came up in a conversation here not very long ago. See this thread;
      http://www.bt3central.com/forum/topi...hTerms=,wilton

Comment

• gerti
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I have seen this lathe some time ago at Menards. Was in a hurry though and could not check it out. Prices seem to vary and can be lower.

Gerd

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Semi-hijacking the thread and continuing the discussion in the thread that Ken linked to ... it's obvious that a lathe of any given size will only allow you to turn projects up to that lathe's capacity. But what about the inverse? Speaking strictly from a standpoint of the size of the project one will be turning, is it possible for a lathe to be too big? Or will a big lathe handle the small projects as well as a small lathe will?

Another way to ask the same question would be: if a lathe is big enough for the largest turnings you want to do, is there any reason (other than convenience, perhaps, or "Because I want another one") to own more than one lathe?
          Larry

Comment

• monte
            Forum Windbag
            • Dec 2002
            • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
            • GI 50-185M

Seems like it might be worth checking into. I'm going to Menard's tomorrow so I'll take a look at it while I'm there.
            Monte (another darksider)
            Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• kwgeorge
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Alvin, TX, USA.

Well Larry, I have thought about that and here is my thoughts. On a larger lathe you can pretty much do what ever you want as far as going from its largest capacity down to the smaller items without much issue. I personally use the Jet mini A lot for my small turnings, finials and so on for several reasons. First off I have the mini lathe about 4” higher than the bigger lathe as I find this much more comfortable on my back when turning very small items. I also turn the smaller items at a much faster speed and I like the smaller tool rest and just general size of the lathe for my smaller projects. So really I think it comes down to more of a personal preference thing and for me, comfort.

Comment

Working...