• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

A new family member;

Well here I am sitting in a hotel room in Austin. Just a bit ago me and the wife picked up the Nova 3000 lathe from Dan here in Austin. We met him and his wife and there little boy. Very nice people and a great little family he has.

I have rebuilt and taken the Grizzly about as far as I could and I wanted something with just a bit bigger swing and a spindle lock. After lots of research I decided that the Nova 3000 is what I really wanted. I have been watching all the boards hoping one would become available and sure enough it did!

I am already searching around for a new DC motor to convert it to variable speed and am already thinking about what upgrades I can make for it. The lathe has been taken very good care of and looks almost new. For $500 I am very pleased. I plan on keeping the Grizzly for spindle work and such and of course I will keep my mini so with this Nova I will now have 4 running lathe. My just laughs at me and says im out of control!
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

Ken
    Just how many lathes do you have now?
    That Nova was a great find.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• GeekMom
      • Dec 2004
      • Bonney Lake, WA.
      • Shopsmith Mark V

Congratulations, Ken.
      Karen
      <><

Comment

• Jim Boyd
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
        • Delta Unisaw

If she any trouble finding you an asylum we will be glad to help I think there is one down by Del Rio that caters to the little people
        Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• Ken Weaver
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2004
          • Clemson, SC, USA
          • Rigid TS3650

Out of control?? Is that possible?? Good score Ken.
          Ken Weaver
          Clemson, SC

"A mistake is absolute proof that someone tried to do something!

Comment

• mudder
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • I live in a house
            • Delta 36-650

Kenneth,

First off

YOU SUCK!

Welcome to the club of the Nova owners association.

Did you know that you can buy the DVR headstock and tailstock and convert your 3000 to a DVR?

I know that you like to play and engineer things to your liking but the DVR has the constant torque, digital readout and rpm control to within 3 rpm of what you selected.
            My personal machine can go as low as 100 rpm and as high as 3495.

It also has something that you will absolutely love and wonder how you ever got along without it. REVERSE!

Just food for thought. I was not aware it could be done until I found a little blurb about it on the nova site. Maybe you can save up and get it when Woodcraft gives you the 10% off at your birthbay month.

Congratulations in the purchase. You will not be disappointed.

Scott

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

I'd say that you're out of control ! Good thing your turnings show the worth of your tool addiction or she might get you commited.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dlanicek
                Forum Newbie
                • Apr 2004

Kenneth,

I hope you enjoy the lathe. I want to see some big bowls from you now!
                It must be driving you nuts to be out of town away from your shop with your new toy... err... tool.

Dan

Comment

• kwgeorge
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Alvin, TX, USA.

Thanks everyone, I am pretty happy about this purchase.

Scott; Yeah I saw that upgrade on the Nova Web site and I am curious as to how much it is. Seems to me you are pretty much replacing 80% of the lathe with that upgrade. I had decided to get a bigger capacity lathe some time ago and have been shopping. I looked at Oneway, PM, Jet as well as several others. The problem that I have is the weight of these things as my building won’t support that kind of weight. The Nova seemed to be the perfect fit for me. I decided that I would look for a used 3000 as it appears they have been discontinued and I was lucky enough to read Dans post. I really wanted the spindle lock/index system and your right, I love to tinker and all ready am working on a RPM display using an interrupter I am working on, Infrared emitter/detector pair and some circuitry. I have the reverse on the Grizzly and your right I like using it when sanding. I am looking forward to playing with this and getting it all tuned up. Like you say though the DVR upgrade is always an option if I don’t like what I come up with.

Dan; yeah its hard to drive around when I keep looking in the back for sure. I did stop by the Austin Woodcraft and I bought an 1-1/4X8 adapter for my Oneway chuck and also got the Handwheel accessory while I was there. As far as the big bowls, well with those big roughed out bowls you gave me I know I will have a few soon. To bad it is going to take me probably a couple of weeks to rearrange the shop and build a stand.

Comment

• mater
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • SC, USA.

Nice find Ken. I know you will enjoy working with it.
                    Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Liberty, SC, USA.
                      • Ridgid TS3650

I'm so *&^%$ jealous I ain't even commenting!

Nah, I'm happy for you Kenneth. Have fun.
                      ken

Comment

Working...