Clear All
  • Ken Massingale
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Liberty, SC, USA.
    • Ridgid TS3650

Another Goblet

Hey Sam,
    This forum will be a great asset to your new site.
    I'd like to point out a couple of things if I may.

1. Norton Internet Security blocks the registration process at the policy acceptance page. When enabled, the page reloads after clicking Accept. Not a problem on your end, but a note to temporarily disable NIS might be helpful.
    2. The generic Snitz Forum e-mail addys are in the policy page, not Sam Condor addys.

Thanks for all your effort providing this site.

Ken
  • Sam Conder
    Woodworker Once More
    • Dec 2002
    • Midway, KY
    • Delta 36-725T2

Thanks Ken.

Sam Conder
    http://www.samconder.com
    Sam Conder
    BT3Central's First Member

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

• DonHouston
      Established Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy (Houston), Texas, USA.

quote:Originally posted by sconder

This forum is intended to provide me a place to test out this forum software for a future website that I am working on. If you are interested in helping me out, just add the URL to this forum (http://www.samconder.com/bt3k/forum) to your favorites list and frequent it often.

Thanks,

Sam Conder
      http://www.samconder.com
      Sam, I'm doing the same thing. I've proposed this to the boss for the Projects I work with. He will be looking at your forum, and telling me his thoughts.
      Don, Houston

Comment

• Chuck C
        Established Member
        • Dec 2002
        • USA.

Another Goblet

I haven't been around much except to admire all your beautiful turnings. I've been busy with to many things. I did the goblet yesterday.

And Ken, (aka kwgeorge) you were right about the Skewchigouge It has a mind of its own. It helped with the woodcraft video and those who have used it.

Here is the latest, any comments or suggestions are appreciated.
        Still working on learning how to take pictures,

Chuck C

If the skipper heard you call that deck a floor he would throw you through that little round window

Comment

• Ken Massingale
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Liberty, SC, USA.
          • Ridgid TS3650

Chuck, that is great! You just moved captive rings up a level on my to-do list.
          Real good work.
          ken

Comment

• kwgeorge
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Alvin, TX, USA.

Looking good Chuck. A little tip fro you on Goblets, I have found that if I make the bottom the same size as the goblet mouth opening or just a bit smaller I like the proportions better. Give it a try and see what you think.

Any tool has a learning curve and some just more than others. It is just a matter of taking the time to learn and experiment with the tool. I like to tell people what happened to me when I first picked up a particular tool so I can perhaps save them from the bad stuff that happened to me with it!

Comment

• GeekMom
              • Dec 2004
              • Bonney Lake, WA.
              • Shopsmith Mark V

Very nice, Chuck. I like the finish; what did you use?
              Karen
              <><

Comment

• monte
                Forum Windbag
                • Dec 2002
                • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
                • GI 50-185M

Nice work Chuck. Good job on the captive rings too.
                Monte (another darksider)
                Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• Whaler
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Sequim, WA, USA.
                  • DW746

Great job Chuck. I like it and wish I could do the same. I can't get the rings. Yet.
                  Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Chuck C
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • USA.

Thanks for the comments. It was fun.

For the vitals:
                    7 1/2" tall, 2 1/4" at top, 2 1/2" at base, 2" at goblet opening.
                    I sanded only to remove tooling marks and put 4 coats of tung oil finish, with steel wool and tack between each coat except for the last. Kept it on the lathe but didn't turn it.
                    And Ken (aka) kwgeorge, I will try that on the next one. I would have thought that the base should be larger because of tipping. I was paranoid when it came time to decide how thin the stem should be. Couldn't bravely go below 7/16" on the stem.

Different pic of same goblet. If this turns out better I'll drop the other.

Chuck C

If the skipper heard you call that deck a floor he would throw you through that little round window

Comment

• kwgeorge
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Alvin, TX, USA.

quote:Originally posted by Chuck C

Thanks for the comments. It was fun.

And Ken (aka) kwgeorge, I will try that on the next one. I would have thought that the base should be larger because of tipping.
                      Now understand Chuck that I am not saying anything at all bad about your work, I am the last one that ever would. As a mater of fact I like your work! When it comes to non utilitarian objects there are no rules and anything goes. It all comes down to what you personally like and what looks good to you. Everything in this category is pretty much freeform and a journey of discovery. When I make a critique comment on your work or anyone else’s for that mater I am trying to offer a suggestion as to what I found works for me and it may or may not work for you.

Here are some examples based on my work. The goblet on the left was probably my first try at a captive ring and I made it about a year ago, the center I did about 5 months ago and the right was a couple of weeks ago.

I am very hard on my work and keep it around so I can look at it over and over to see what I would do different and also what I like and don’t like about it. I think it is important to try different things to see what works and don’t work for you personally. With goblets I have come up with some simple baseline rules that help me with my proportions so things look right in my eye.

Scott (aka, Mudder) helped me tremendously in my woodturning by honestly critiquing my work and adding another perspective to it besides my own. Again it is a journey and a lot of fun.

And yeah, as the stem gets thinner so do the nerves!

Comment

• mater
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • SC, USA.

That is beautiful work. I love those rings.
                        Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• Chuck C
                          Established Member
                          • Dec 2002
                          • USA.

Ken (aka kwgeorge) I'm just a beginner in this woodturner stuff and I take no comment as bad. I'm constantly learning here and greatly appreciate every input.
                          Chuck C

Comment

Working...