• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

Well I was at it again all day.

I was supposed to do yard work but thanks to the really nasty storm that blew through here last night I was able to turn instead. Kind of nice when nature is on your side!

This first one is from Eucalyptus and it is a hollowed vase. The wife picked up some fake flowers at a craft show Saturday and wanted something to arrange them in.

Then I decided to jump off into a box after reading an article from Pam Reilly on box making. I normally do not emulate anyone’s style of form but I think Pam is a great turner and I really like her work. So I decided to do somewhat of a Pam box. I am going to show you 2 views of this box so you can see the wood all the way around. It is from a piece I picked up at Woodcraft and it was labeled Marimba but I still can find no such thing on the Net nor can I find a picture of this wood anywhere. This particular piece has quite a bit of spalted lines running parallel to the grain. The heartwood is dark reddish orange while the sap wood is almost white. I made the finial out of Ebony and the three little beads on the top are kind of Pam’s signature from what I have seen of her work. Please note that I did not copy her work but rather free formed my own based on her style of box making.

This first picture shows the spalted lines and the variations in the grain.

This next view is from the heartwood side. This is really a pretty wood just very hard to work. The wood comes off and little chips and the grain tears very badly when scraped. The final shape is meant to look something like a Spade in a deck of playing cards.

Then when I was cleaning up and getting ready to come back in I came across a piece of scrap for one of the projects the other day. So I had to make just one more. The last one is made from desert wood with a Redheart Finial and I did this one just for Jim Boyd and Pappy!

Thanks for having a look.

• mudder
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • I live in a house
    • Delta 36-650

Kenneth,

I can't say the vase does anything for me but those boxes are superb.

I tried to send someone to your site but it seems to be down... What up wit dat?

Comment

• kwgeorge
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Alvin, TX, USA.

Yeah Scott, I am not a big fan of the vase either. It was chosen by the wife from a glass vase we saw at Kirklands yesterday. She like the form and wanted it so I made it for her. You know keeper of the tool budget and all. The wood is pretty thought.

I don’t know what’s up with my site it has been down since yesterday. I figure they had a server crash or something. I have a good backup so I am not worried too much. This is the third time it has been down in a year so I guess that’s not too bad.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Ken, I like all of your turnings but I especially like the finials. Great design and touch on all of them!
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• monte
          Forum Windbag
          • Dec 2002
          • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
          • GI 50-185M

Nice work on all of them Ken!
          Monte (another darksider)
          Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• Jim Boyd
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
            • Delta Unisaw

Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• Ken Massingale
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Liberty, SC, USA.
              • Ridgid TS3650

Nice, Kenneth. real nice, as usual.
              ken

Comment

• mater
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • SC, USA.

Very nice as usual Ken. I think I remember you having an article on pens and I have been trying to access your web site the last couple days with no luck.
                Ken aka "mater"

" People may doubt what you say but they will never doubt what you do "

Ken's Den

Comment

• mudder
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • I live in a house
                  • Delta 36-650

quote:Originally posted by kwgeorge

Yeah Scott, I am not a big fan of the vase either. It was chosen by the wife from a glass vase we saw at Kirklands yesterday. She like the form and wanted it so I made it for her. You know keeper of the tool budget and all. The wood is pretty thought.
                  Reread my post and realized that I am a moron. I slammed you when it was not my intention. The wood is indeed very nice and as always your skill and talent show in the form and finish of that piece.

My apologies.

Scott

Comment

• Whaler
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Sequim, WA, USA.
                    • DW746

Ken; Again the work is beautiful.
                    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• kwgeorge
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Alvin, TX, USA.

Absolutely no apologies needed Scott! I am thankful for your candor as always. In this case I even agree with you!

Mater, yeah my site sever got hit hard. It is back to where I can get to it but it looks like I lost some data. Should have it back together this evening.

Comment

• mudder
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2003
                        • I live in a house
                        • Delta 36-650

quote:Originally posted by kwgeorge

Mater, yeah my site sever got hit hard.
                        Kenneth,

Looking at your sight again I think your server has been hacked. Better check with your host to see if they plugged the breach.

Scott

Comment

• kwgeorge
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Alvin, TX, USA.

Yeah Scott I got hit. From a quick search it looks like they hit a bunch of sites. Not everything is fully functional yet as my email is still down and I don't have everything fixed yet but the tutors and most stuff I have back up now.

Comment

Working...