• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveinFloweryBranchGA
    Established Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Flowery Branch, Georgia, USA.

HF lathe and chuck options?

I'm wanting to make wooden bowls with my lathe and while I've been using the glue block method, I'm thinking I'd like to upgrade to a chuck.

With that in mind, what are good chuck options, from say, a good chiwanese cheapie to a really nice chuck? I'd like to only buy once, but have enough capability to do larger and smaller bowls, etc.

Thank you in advance,

Dave
    Dave in Flowery Branch, GA
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

I have two good options for you the first is from Grizzly;

Grizzly Industrial, Inc. is a national retail and internet company providing a wide variety of high-quality woodworking and metalworking machinery, power tools, hand tools and accessories. By selling directly to end users we provide the best quality products at the best price to professionals and hobbyists.

This chuck is almost an exact copy of the Vicmarc. I have ordered one myself to check it out. You can purchase accessory jaws for it. They have a set of 4” Dovetail jaws and a set of 1” Pin jaws.

The second is the Nova Midi chuck. It is very well made and will take all the standard Nova jaw sets that are available.

Whether you're a seasoned artisan or a novice enthusiast, shop Woodcraft for expert advice, unbeatable prices, superior brands, and a woodworking experience like no other. Explore our vast selection of premium wood, tools, and accessories, meticulously curated to fuel your passion for creating timeless pieces.

Either one of these would be a nice choice for multiple purposes.

Comment

• Jim Boyd
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
      • Delta Unisaw

I am curious about that Griz chuck. Sure looks like a Vicmarc. Extra jaws do too! For $89 it is almost too good to be true. I love my Vicmarc. Keep us posted Ken.
      Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• DaveinFloweryBranchGA
        Established Member
        • Oct 2004

Ken,

Thank you for the information. Those look about what I'm looking for. I looked at the HF ones on their website, but none of them looked "right" for woodworking. Am I looking at them wrong or are they just a bit too much like metal working lathes?

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

• dlanicek
          Forum Newbie
          • Apr 2004

The Grizzly chuck that kwgeorge posted looks like it has some promise. Never used on myself but initial reports are good.

My first chuck was a Nova Midi and, although it's well made, I would not recommend it. The tommy bars are a slight annoyance but not my major gripe. The jaw travel on the Midi is very short and that is very annoying. Also, you are restricted to 1x8 spindle. I thought this would be no problem, it'd be years before I get a big enough lathe to need another size, right? Guess what? 2 months after I bought the Nova Midi I found a great deal on a used Nova 3000 that uses a 1-1/4x8 spindle. Can't use the Nova Midi on it (luckily, the Nova 3000 came with a SuperNova chuck).

If you only want to buy a chuck once, I recommend getting a SuperNova2 or a Talon. Both are highly recommended from those who own them. Chucks are not the place to buy cheap. These things need to work everytime or your safety is in jeopardy.

Comment

• kwgeorge
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Alvin, TX, USA.

Well, the Grizzly is still back order, now till june. Bummer.

Comment

• DaveinFloweryBranchGA
              Established Member
              • Oct 2004

It'll come in on the same boat as their latest 8" jointer offering, I'd bet.

Comment

• DaveinFloweryBranchGA
                Established Member
                • Oct 2004

Has there been any news about the above Grizzly chuck recently?

Thanks,

Dave

Comment

• kwgeorge
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Alvin, TX, USA.

I will let you know when I try to order it again later in the week.

Comment

Working...