• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Making a Carbide Hollowing Tool

In this video, I complete the carbide hollowing tool using steel bar and a 9mm round carbide cutter from AZCarbide, mounting in the tool handle turned from a table leg. Thanks for watching!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Tool small.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	829273
    Bill in Buena Park
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Thanks Bill, this has been on my mind for a few weeks - making a hollow bowl carver. I want to make 3. Most of my tools are for pens, too short. Good longer tools for medium size bowls are expensive!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

They sure are Hank, I was just checking some out a week or so back and couldn't find a name brand one under $140. I think all together I have about $16 or less invested in this tool - the table leg which became the handle was obviously free, the steel bar I think was a little over $5 from Home Depot, and the cutter from Arizona carbide was around $11 and change if I recall. Of course I didn't use the whole steel bar probably less than half so I have some material to make another Hollowing tool which will be a straight hollowing tool with the same nine millimeter cutter on the end of it. That's a project for another day.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

The 16 inch Grizzly has me thinking of making a few fairly good sized bowls so I need a sharp curve like yours and one less sharp for "wide at the top" but "narrow neck" bowls. I want two just like yours, one with an approx 10 mm and one with a 15 - 16mm or so for larger removal. The 16 inch Grizzly sure makes my mind jump at possibilities.

I am not thinking of turning full 16 inch diameter logs at this point, but I am thinking of turning segmented layered bowls of that diameter, which of course will be much much lighter. It will be already hollow, if I am explaining it correctly.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Cool. It looks store bought

Comment

Working...