• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Flat Jaws for bowls

For you serious bowl turners, how important do you rate the large flat jaws in bowl turning?

The few bowls I have turned in the past, I sure could have used a set, but managed without them. I even went so far as to make a set of the variable diameter out of quality 1/4 inch plywood. Did an excellent job but there seemed to be some off center by a smidgen when setting up the bowls. It could handle 10 inch bowls on the outside and 11 inch inside. I threw it away because it was not perfect.

Anyway, with my Grizzly purchase, I am thinking of the flat jaws. How handy and accurate are they?

Thanks
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Well, in my vast wealth of knowledge of bowl turning (one small bowl...) I loved having a set of cole jaws. They were very handy. I have what would be the mini(?) set. They came with a Nova G3 kit.
    Joe

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Hank, I don't have a vacuum chuck or other method of reversing the bowl once the inside is turned, for those occasions when I need to touch up the bottom of the bowl. A donut chuck would likely work just as well for my purposes, but I've never gotten around to making or purchasing one (although the Donut Chuck sold by Ron Brown's Best looks like a great deal!)

When I bought my economy chuck from PSI, it came with the "jumbo" Cole jaws. Accurate enough for me. Then I bought a second economy chuck, which came with another set of the same jaws, and I thought - I need to get a set of their extended flat jaws, which mount right on top of the cole jaws, and extend the capacity up to 14+ inches. I've used those also, accurate enough for my use. I've used both jaws quite a bit, and appreciate having them.

But if I didn't already have these, I'd be taking a closer look at the Donut chuck from RBB.

Merry Christmas!
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
        For you serious bowl turners, how important do you rate the large flat jaws in bowl turning?
        I'm not sure I qualify as a "serious" bowl turner, I tend to be pretty jovial ;-) I have turned a number of bowls, however.

I'm not a big fan of chucks in general, and rarely use them (or sharpening jigs, or....) I like the Liam O'Neill method, that's what I learned a few decades ago when I was starting out.

1. Mount blank to faceplate, foot to the faceplace, and turn inside and most of outside.
        2. Finish bowl as much as possible.
        3. Separate bowl from face plate, put flat plate on faceplate, put foam on flat plate, use tailstock to press bowl against the foam. Tape if you are worried.
        4. Turn the bottom of the bowl, leave just a little dimple to hold it in the middle.
        5. Remove from lathe, clean up dimple with a chisel.

In more recent years, I have modified that slightly, now that fancy bowl bottoms are popular. I replace step 5 with:
        5. Tape the blank to the face plate, cut off the dimple, turn off the dimple carefully (with the bowl held to the faceplate by the tape).

Usual disclaimers - use at your own risk, works for me but might not work for you, etc.

--------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

I appreciate each input. Thanks.

Joey, I appreciate those with average or less experience as their experiences are usually the best perspective for a newbie.

Bill, After reading your response, I did check out PSI and then realize, after looking at their selections, that it would sure be best to get a dedicated chuck. That is probably the route that I will go in the near future. I am one that hates changing jaws on a chuck, but will if i HAVE TO in order to accomplish what I need. I also looked at the donut chuck and had read about it on a few occasions. For me, unless that is the only possibility left, I might give it a try but it looks complicated and intricate. I could handle it but it sure looks time consuming.

WoodTurner - I have done that 1- 5 a few times and getting things lined up in the second # 5 is why I would like the Cole jaws. I don't like lots of complicated things when I can do them simple. Simple to me is being able to get things lined up / centered quick and easily.

In the past bowls, I did the bottom first with tape or screw on the face plate and then added dovetail chucked jaws and turned the rest from there. Still there is a need to go back to the bowl bottom )facing outward) on occasion, and that is why I am looking for some self centering Cole jaws.

Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...