• Show
Clear All
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Turning wet black walnut limbs

I took some black walnut limbs from my parents' house today--3"-6" in diameter. They have been dead for awhile, but just recently cut down. I do not have a moisture meter to see what the content is.

I would like to make some pens and some nutcracker handles from these. What are the chances these would be dry enough to make Christmas gifts from them? That is, even if I am able to get enough material from them. Should I cut them into blanks, seal them and wait? Can I dry them in an oven on a low temp?
    Joe
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

you shouldn't have any problems with them. If it has been dead for a while, it should be ok. If it has 10 - 11% moisture that would be very good for outside.

Two ways to dry it to 6 - 7% after cutting it into oversized blanks: 1. in an oven on its lowest temp (125°-140°) for about 3 to 4 hours; 2. in a microwave on defrost for about 20 minutes; check and repeat until the desired level is attained.

It would be good if you had small paper bags to put them in, or wrap them in a couple of layers of paper towel while in the oven or microwave. This evens the drying rate more consistently over the whole blank.

This is the way I would do it, but if someone has a better suggestion, listen to them.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

I agree with Hank's recommendations, although I would probably go to 7/8 on the pen blanks, I doubt they'd shrink below 3/4 if at all.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...