• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Lathe Bed Extension

My Nova Comet II is 16.5 between centers which is pretty good for these small midi lathes but once you add chucks and centers etc plus factor waste, the workable length reduces down quite a bit. As I already have a few projects that would need to be longer I decided to home brew a bed extension. Made from a few bits of scrap this seems to work quite well and adds 12" which should now accommodate anything I can think of for now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-18 10.19.54.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	825944
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Looks good Jon. Is the lathe bolted to the bench? Also, are those knot holes on the underside of the bed rails? If so, I'd be cautious about cranking down too hard on a workpiece when your on the extension, watch for any flexing in the wood. You might also consider putting board at the upper back end, like you have a the bottom, to prevent any movement between the rails back there.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
      Looks good Jon. Is the lathe bolted to the bench? Also, are those knot holes on the underside of the bed rails? If so, I'd be cautious about cranking down too hard on a workpiece when your on the extension, watch for any flexing in the wood. You might also consider putting board at the upper back end, like you have a the bottom, to prevent any movement between the rails back there.
      Yes the lathe is bolted to the bench. I did this last week along with adding about 110 lbs of bricks into a low shelf to help with vibration when truing up large blanks. Those holes are not knots they were in the scrap I used and did not seem to alter the integrity any. Its a good point and I will keep an eye on it. Good point about putting another board at the back. This is definitely a version 1.0 and I will see how it works and consider changes if I need to upgrade to a 2.0.
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I'd also consider using a plywood brace to secure both of those uprights to each other so there's no racking from either an imbalanced load or when you apply pressure with your chisels.

Comment

• onedash
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2005
          • Maryland
          • Craftsman 22124

I don't want to sound negative here but that looks like a safety hazard. Every time you clamp it down you will be crushing the wood fibers.
          YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

Working...