• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Identify these woods

I picked up a bunch blanks last year and have just started to go through and catalog what I have. I started with a box of pen blanks and most are labeled or I know what they are. Can anybody tell what these three are?

The one on the left I am 95% sure is Lacewood although its a lot darker than I have seen before in board form. The center one is a spalted something but not sure how to tell what. If you look at the last pic you will see that 2 of the blanks have a little heartwood in them. The ones on the right are a puzzle. if you look at the end grain it seems 'spotty' this might lead me to think its some form of Mahogany or in a similar family. Anybody got anything more definitive? I have yet to go through a box of larger blanks and will post some more wood puzzles later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-06-14 08.54.39.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	825885

Name:	2016-06-14 08.54.27.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	825886

Name:	2016-06-14 09.03.04.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	825887
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Jon, pic 1 looks like Lacewood. Pic 3 looks like Palm. I don't recognize Pic 2 - the heartwood looks like purpleheart to me, but I've never seen purpleheart's sapwood (whatever it is, the spalting is awesome!)
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
      Jon, pic 1 looks like Lacewood. Pic 3 looks like Palm. I don't recognize Pic 2 - the heartwood looks like purpleheart to me, but I've never seen purpleheart's sapwood (whatever it is, the spalting is awesome!)
      Thanks Bill, I think you are dead on with Palm. Its not purpleheart the color is way more browns than purple. Its hard to tell if all the spalted blanks are from the same batch. As I have looked at them again I think there are 3 different lots based on the size they are cut. Its really hard with spalting as they all look very similar. having searched a bit more I think the bulk may well be spalted tamarind. If you would like a couple let me know as I have 25 of them.
      Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• joedad
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2015
        • Yardley, PA
        • Ryobi Bt3000

The middle one might be Spalted Tamarind

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Top left: Beefwood flat sawn http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-...beefwood/#pics
          Could be lace but the grain and darker color immediately made me think of beefwood

Bottom - definitely purple heart.

Top right is palm.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• onedash
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2005
            • Maryland
            • Craftsman 22124

leopardwood, ??, palm aer my guesses
            YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Onedash I think you nailed it with Leopardwood. Same look as lacewood but darker and pics are much closer than the beefwood - sorry Hank. Still not sure about the purple heart, I think the lighting does not show it but I have some known purpleheart blanks and if I put them side by side you would see there is a huge difference. I think everybody wins the "name that Palm" contest.

I guess I need to go make something with this stash. I will be going through the big box of blanks later today and will post some pics so we can continue to play "Name that Wood.!"
              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

I didn't realize the wood in the center top pict and second pict were the same. Computer screens sure made the bottom look purple, but with your comparison description, I had to take a second look. Yep, Tamarind does have purplish heartwood.

"Color/Appearance: Heartwood is a deep reddish brown, sometimes with a purplish hue—heartwood portions of Tamarind tend to be narrow and are usually only present in older and larger trees. The pale yellow sapwood is very wide and sharply demarcated from the heartwood. Spalting and other discoloration are very common in the sapwood, and the majority of the Tamarind available in the United States is spalted sapwood."

I had a friend that had some persimmon with solid black center. That black is like the Tamarind - in that it is only present in older and larger trees.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
                  Computer screens sure made the bottom look purple, but with your comparison description, I had to take a second look.
                  Between the lighting, capabilities of the camera, their internal image processing, and the end computer screen its a wonder we can tell the accuracy of any color. As I do a lot of graphics and photo work I use a device to calibrate my screens. They work pretty well, however being able to calibrate a printer so it will print the same as you see on the screen is a whole other level of problem...

Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

Here is the large box of turning blanks and stock turned out on the kitchen table. I am pretty sure about most but there are a few questionable ones. Unless you can tell from this group shot I will be posting some pics of those later. Here is where I think I stand right now.
                    1. Looks like Walnut but feels quite light, could be just very very dry.
                    2. Large stash of Purpleheart in various sizes
                    3. Looks like a burl of some kind but no idea how to tell what
                    4. Spalted Tamarind
                    5. Koa
                    6. Small acrylic block
                    7. Bunch of dyed blanks
                    8. Bunch of SpectraPly blanks
                    9. Probably Ash
                    10. Some kind of Maple, possibly curly
                    11. Mahogany od some variety
                    12. 99% sure its Padauk
                    13. Mystery, Tigerwood maybe but some parts have very little to know pattern
                    14. 99% Tigerwood
                    15. Walnut but again slightly lighter than I would expect
                    16. Palm, obviously where those pen blanks were cut from
                    17. Another Mystery wood. has similar heft and density to the Purpleheart but you can see the fresh planed color is a dark brown, nothing like the Purpleheart.
                    18. Leopard/Lacewood, again when those smaller blanks came from
                    19. based on my 6th grade reading level I think I can be sure this is Ironwood and the 2 blocks sitting on top look pretty much the same.
                    20. NOT labeled but I realized I had missed the block of Brazilian Cherry sitting behind No4.3x3x12 and quite heavy/dense, seems to shout Pepper Mill.

Name:	Turning Blanks W-numbers.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	825926
                    Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• onedash
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2005
                      • Maryland
                      • Craftsman 22124

University of Wisconsin used to allow residents to send in two (free) samples (small shavings) of wood a year for Identification. I think it was geared more toward living trees in your yard but if you really gotta know what it is check the local university. I doubt any of them are free any more. It's amazing what some of these little pieces of wood cost now. I used to buy lots of lyptus. Now it's more expensive then mahogany.
                      YOU DONT HAVE TO TRAIN TO BE MISERABLE. YOU HAVE TO TRAIN TO ENDURE MISERY.

Comment

• poolhound
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2006
                        • Phoenix, AZ
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by onedash
                        University of Wisconsin used to allow residents to send in two (free) samples (small shavings) of wood a year for Identification. I think it was geared more toward living trees in your yard but if you really gotta know what it is check the local university. I doubt any of them are free any more. It's amazing what some of these little pieces of wood cost now. I used to buy lots of lyptus. Now it's more expensive then mahogany.
                        I have heard of that service although I am not too worried its more the puzzle of just figuring out what you have when you buy one of these "Mystery Box" type deals. It also helps when I complete a project especially if it might be a for sale item and I can say its a XXXX pen, bowl etc.
                        Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

Working...