Sanding question

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • GeekMom
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2004
    • 752
    • Bonney Lake, WA.
    • Shopsmith Mark V

    #1

    Sanding question

    Forgive me if this sounds like question with an answer that should be obvious. If I have the ability to change the direction of my work (by changing spindles), do I turn it one direction then completely sand it using the reverse? Or do I sand both forward and reverse?

    Thanks!
    Karen
    <><
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • 1419
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

    #2
    Well Karen even though I have the ability to reverse my spindle direction I have not used it as I don’t yet have a good way to lock any accessories (Chucks, Faceplates, etc) onto the spindle so it does not Unscrew itself! There are many turners who use the reverse on there lathes for various things such as sanding and being able to turn on the other side of the lathe. It is my observation that sanding would be the most beneficial part of having a reverse. Why you ask? Well consider when you are turning you are cutting wood fibers and these fibers are being cut not only across end grain but also in a particular direction. As the work piece spins towards you and you apply your tool edge you not only cut but you lift the fibers up as well. Have you ever notices on the little fuzzy areas where the end grain has torn you can rub it down a bit with your thumb? So sanding in reverse pretty much accomplishes that. It sands in a different direction from the cut and thereby removes torn end grain areas more efficiently. (Less sanding to get to the same smoothness)

    Hope this ramble sort of makes sense to you, I just woke up from a nap!

    Comment

    • GeekMom
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2004
      • 752
      • Bonney Lake, WA.
      • Shopsmith Mark V

      #3
      Thanks, Ken. Yes it makes sense, just am not quite sure whether I should do all sanding in reverse, or change direction when I change grit? Main reason I'm asking, my daughter is working a bowl in lacy sycamore, and the end grain is pretty nasty. She's (meaning 'we') having a difficult time making it feel smooth. So far, we've run 60 and 80 grit, both reverse, but the end grain is still rougher than it should be.
      Karen
      <><

      Comment

      • kwgeorge
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • 1419
        • Alvin, TX, USA.

        #4
        Karen, if you have torn end grain that bad then sanding is not your answer. All you will end up doing is modifying the shape of your piece with strong abrasive. There is also the possibility that you have problems with the form depending on the thickness. The end grain resists sanding more than other areas. In other words you could sand yourself an oval object! (Been there done that) I would suggest that you lubricate the area with the torn end grain with mineral oil or sanding sealer and then shear cut a couple of passes. This should take care of most of the nasty areas.

        Comment

        • GeekMom
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2004
          • 752
          • Bonney Lake, WA.
          • Shopsmith Mark V

          #5
          Ken, thanks! We'll try that next. This is her first project, and I don't want her to get discouraged with finishing. So far, she's turned a nice shape on the outside. She's getting ready to turn a jam chuck to fit the bottom, then we'll turn it around so she can cut the inside. Hoping to finish it this weekend.
          Karen
          <><

          Comment

          • Jim Boyd
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • 1766
            • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
            • Delta Unisaw

            #6
            This is where I find power sanding to come in handy
            Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

            Comment

            Working...