Need an Educated Opinion

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Ken H
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • 329
    • Riverside, CA, USA.

    #1

    Need an Educated Opinion

    This could have made tool talk, but you guys (and gals) in this forum are the pro's.

    I want a lathe. I have several wood purchases to make and am in need of a jointer. I'll be left with about $150 of my B-day funds left. I saw a few different lathes in HF and have heard their larger model is not a bad purchase (that was question number 1...is it?). I also noticed two similar models that have a flat bed and one offered a 6" sanding wheel on the outside of the motor (Is there any other good uses for the model with the sanding wheel? I have a 6"disk/belt sander combo. (second quesiton)

    My main question was, there was a third lathe for $99. It had a 2" pipe for the bed. I figured it was not a bad deal if it's functional and I'd have enough for a basic set of turning tools. Does anyone know if this lathe is worth bothering with.

    I'm the kind of guy that normally finds something I want to do, then spends the mother-load of cash to buy the best. Then sometimes it sits and I have buyers remorse...I can't afford to do that this time, but want to try my hand at turning. If I like it...I'll spend the mother-load in a year or so.

    Thanks
    Ken in Cali...
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kenincali
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • 1419
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

    #2
    Ya know that is the question that seems to be asked a lot and there are many different answers. The generally accepted opinion of wood lathes at HF tends to find the 34706 to be the best overall product. This particular model is highly cloned by many manufactures in the US (Jet, Grizzly etc) and also overseas. I myself have counted 6 different foreign companies branding on this lathe. What this means to me is I can get parts for it anywhere and everything is pretty much standard so accessories I buy can be transferred to other lathes if I upgrade or whatnot. If you look closely at the other models at HF you will find a mass of non-standard spindle sizes and treads that could leave you wanting later. The 34706 lathe also goes on sale quite often.

    In my case I bought the Grizzly model of this lathe and have been upgrading it substantially. Now I have a lathe that competes with the thousand dollars plus models. I have always said that there are pearls and pigs at a store like HF and you take a chance every time you buy something there. This is a case where spending to little can hurt just as bad as spending to much as you could find yourself with a real piece of junk and shy away from the great joy of turning.

    Comment

    • maxparot
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • 1421
      • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
      • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

      #3
      The one with the 6" sander is made from stamped steel you want the one with the cast bed
      Opinions are like gas;
      I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

      Comment

      • gerti
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • 2233
        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

        #4
        Also remember that the lathe is just the beginning. In no time at all you'll want nice(r) turning tools, a grinder, maybe a sharpening jig, a nice chuck, some books and videos, maybe a class or two, some 'more fun' wood to turn...

        Gerd

        Comment

        • Ken H
          Established Member
          • Dec 2003
          • 329
          • Riverside, CA, USA.

          #5
          Thanks for reminding me of all the additional costs Gerd...

          I know it's like starting the whole wood working experience all over again. It's like buying your first table saw. Very exciting until you realize you still can't make anything until you've constructed a few $$$ worth of jigs, bought sanders, clamps, routers, blah...blah...blah!

          I'll have a lathe someday... and it'll sit for a year before I can afford a basic set of turning tools!

          In the mean time, I'm going to continue to keep my eye open for a used monster sized lathe that needs rebuilding. One of the "get it out of my shed" specials!!!

          Thanks
          Ken in Cali...
          http://community.webshots.com/user/kenincali

          Comment

          Working...