• Show
Clear All
  • mmcduffie
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Des Moines, Washington.
    • BT3000

Handwheel on a G5979?

Has anyone ever figured out how to mount a handwheel on a Grizzly G5979 lathe? I'd sure like one on the out board side but the threads are a strange size. Or maybe I'm measuring them strangly
    I know the threads are left hand but a 1/2-13LH bolt doesn't fit and I can't find metric bolts in LH thread. I checked with a thread pitch gauge but they don't look metric.
    Hmmm

Michael
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

Funny you should ask that as that has been one of my quests. I also want an external hand wheel on my Grizzly. There is a company that makes one that will fit into the LH threaded hole and I have that link around here somewhere. The problem that I see is once you mount that handle you can no longer use your knockout bar.

Just yesterday I started machining a two piece adapter that will let me have a hand wheel and keep my hole through the spindle open. Basically I am making a collar that fits over the spindle and has the keyway. It will mount very much like a pulley. Onto that a larger plate will be attached that will hold a wooden turned hand wheel of whatever size I decide on.

Comment

• mmcduffie
      Established Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Des Moines, Washington.
      • BT3000

You are making two, right? So I can buy the extra, yes?

I also thought of making one that fit over the wrench flats on the spindle and locks on with a setscrew.

Michael

Comment

• kwgeorge
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Alvin, TX, USA.

That is exactly what I am doing but I am making it to where I can put the cover back on. I will post pictures I hope next weekend.

Comment

Working...