Latest turning;

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • 1419
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

    #1

    Latest turning;

    I bet you were expecting a box or something! This is my first real project on the new metal lathe. Since it is for my woodturning, thought I would post it. It is a 3” pulley for my larger lathe that will fit to the spindle. The spindle is an odd size at .950 so I could not find a manufactured pulley for it. As you can see from the shallow Vee and the wider shoulders I designed this for use with a Link belt. I still have to cut the keyway and drill and tap for the set screw.


  • mudder
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • 1532
    • I live in a house
    • Delta 36-650

    #2
    Welcome home Kenneth,

    You were missed.



    Scott

    Comment

    • GeekMom
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2004
      • 752
      • Bonney Lake, WA.
      • Shopsmith Mark V

      #3
      Welcome back, Ken. Nice to see your work - even in metal (By the way, it's called 'Turning Talk', not specifically WOODturning! You can't get off that easily)
      Karen
      <><

      Comment

      • gmack5
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • 1972
        • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

        #4
        Good work, Ken.
        Keep up the good work.



        Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
        Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
        George

        Comment

        • leehljp
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • 8803
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

          #5
          I went to a specialty store yesterday and bought some brass and aluminum stock bar to make a shim/tube for my new lathe motor. I have a Taig lathe and have been running a 3500 RPM US motor. I found a 1750 RPM motor last week but the shaft had been turned down to a metric size that is between 5/8 in. and 1/2 in.; I have two pulleys, for both Imperial size shafts, but not the metric. So I decide to get some bar stock and turn it to fit over the shaft of the metric shaft and bring it up to 5/8 in.

          I will be turning metal too.
          Hank Lee

          Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

          Comment

          • SteveR
            Established Member
            • Feb 2003
            • 494
            • USA.

            #6
            Hey KW.......I am kinda surpised you did not attempt some ebony inlay or something LOL......looks great
            Did you get a chance to meet with Mr. Grumbine?

            Comment

            • Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • 4301
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

              #7
              Looks great Ken.
              I have been turning a lot lately on my lathe as well. Every shark that leaves now gets turned brass bushings on the clamp. Can't buy them like I need then, so.....
              I have also been working in my other spare time on building me a CNC router. Its coming along really well. I will post a link when I get a chance.
              Also it was good to see that you finishd your 2x6 challenge project. Remind me later to tell you what I think of it. [8D]
              Lee

              Comment

              • kwgeorge
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • 1419
                • Alvin, TX, USA.

                #8
                Thanks Scott, that makes me feel good. I am so glad things have settled down a bit. It was insane for awhile. Hank, I tried to make a collar for a standard 1” bore pulley and I had slippage on larger pieces when I was turning. I think this will work out better for me. To learn from my mistakes you may not want to use a soft metal. I used copper and it moved under preasure.

                Lee, hummm.. Is that good or bad on my 2X6 project? I was very nervous about posting it and hope everyone likes it ok. I can not even begin to tell you the hours I have invested into that project. I managed to shred my stock belt on my first project on the metal lathe. I think it was a bit dry rotted. I ordered another one and a spare to keep around. After I finish the pulley tomorrow I am off to buy a portable bandsaw, man I am never cutting 4” 6061 aluminum with a Saws All ever again! The next piece I am making is an adapter that will let me mount a handwheel on the outside of the big wood lathe.

                Comment

                Working...