• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

lathe setup - where to lube and Not...

Lathe stand is built and am now getting the lathe all setup. Although I know its going to get covered in chips very soon I did want to start by making sure everything is clean. This is a used lathe and I have given most of the surfaces a general clean and got some guck off with mineral spirits. My real question is where would be the places to lube and where should it be avoided.

This weekend will be my first adventure turning so all advice is welcome and be warned there will probably be a bunch of newbie questions forthcoming...
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

If a tool such as a lathe has an oil cap for lube, use that. I grew up filling the tube to the cap and even more. That was from the mid '50s. However, in some cases in the past 20 years, I have read to add a certain amount, such as one squirt or 2 to 6 drops or something like that. I think that is more for "bronze" bearings.

As to other areas or bearings that don't have lube caps, I use a spray lube and wipe off the excess well, if it is accessible enough. This may not be a good practice safety wise, but if a bearing is accessible enough while running and not pose a danger, I turn the lathe or other tool on and spray. You can tell if it is having an effect by the change in pitch or sound. At this point, two things can happen: 1. it might be just what was needed, OR 2. it might signify a bad bearing in the works. Someone with Experience with such sounds can tell you by listening as it is spray lubed. A third part is this - if it quietens down the next day when adding lube spray, and again the next day from oiling again, then that is probably the sound of a bearing about to go bad. In some cases, it might be a dry bearing and if caught in time, packing those kind of bearings with grease will suffice. BUT these are not usually on lathes.

OTHER PLACES: I lube the tail stock regularly - once every other month at the longest when I am not using it often and more when using it. It needs wiped on light lube in the spindles and threads. Any chucks, drives, screw on devices, clamps, posts, lathe bed and MT slide in/out need lube monthly, used or not or rust will set in, particularly in humid environments.
    Last edited by leehljp; 01-09-2016, 02:04 PM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

Working...