• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Ficus bowl

I came into some ficus from a neighborhood tree some time ago, had rough cut it wet, sealed the endgrain, and put it away. Decided to take it out today and see what was inside, this 6inch x 4inch bowl is the result. I managed to salvage it from most of the tearout (maybe this is typical with ficus, which is causing me to reconsider keeping the rest) - but the spalting and other coloration (yellows, pinks) that showed up inside was not evident before I started turning. Had to do this with traditional bowl gouge and scraper - this wood was not friendly to the carbide, as it would load up the carbide cutters and impede cutting. Finished with sanding sealer, friction polish, and wax. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
    Bill in Buena Park
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Dang! I certainly don't have any turing time in the next 2 to 3 months, but you certainly gave me the urge! LOOKS GREAT! Love it when colors come out that wasn't expected! I like the curves, bottom and lip designs.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

I like that! Looks to be well worth the trouble to turn.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Hank, Mark, thanks for the kind words. I have a few more pieces, so may open those up to see what's inside. If they don't turn out, so be it. I just scored some Jacaranda and California Peppertree from my arborist friend, and spent this afternoon processing into blanks. And I still haven't turned any of the ash I got from him, because like Hank, I seem to have very little time at present for turning. And even though sealed, I hope it doesn't split before I have a chance to find that time...
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• gerti
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
          • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Very nice, didn't know Ficus can get that big! Always fun to find something unexpected.

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Very nice. I especially like the rim detail.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

Thanks Gerd and Paul. This wood was from a large, very old tree growing in the roadside berm that was lifting a sidewalk, so needed to be removed. Looking very uninteresting at the time, I only took a little to try out. The rim detail just "happened", as I was wanting a rim, but this shape evolved as I was trying to fix some tear-out along the top of the rim.
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...