• Show
Clear All
  • treetopguy2028
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2006
    • Mountain View, Arkansas
    • Three makes of band saws

Replacing headstock bearings

I turn spindles eight months a year in the craft business using a foot lathe, an electric Fisch TC 90-100 (bought new in 2005) and a General-International 25-300M1. The foot lathe is an antique which I demonstrate at the Ozark Folk Center in Mountain View, Arkansas. Plan to come see this but check our web site for schedule to plan a successful trip.

I produce and sell about 700 toy tops each year. A few months ago something told me I should replace the 6005-RS bearings in the FISCH lathe. I ordered the bearings ($25.00/pair) and bought a bearing puller tool and did the tasks in two hours last week. The result is outstanding...quieter, smoother and finer quality cuts, as I use and sell Easy Wood Tools. If you are debating replacing your bearings it is a simple mechanical job and you'll be a happy turner when it's done.
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by treetopguy2028
    I turn spindles eight months a year in the craft business using a foot lathe, an electric Fisch TC 90-100 (bought new in 2005) and a General-International 25-300M1. The foot lathe is an antique which I demonstrate at the Ozark Folk Center in Mountain View, Arkansas. Plan to come see this but check our web site for schedule to plan a successful trip.

I produce and sell about 700 toy tops each year. A few months ago something told me I should replace the 6005-RS bearings in the FISCH lathe. I ordered the bearings ($25.00/pair) and bought a bearing puller tool and did the tasks in two hours last week. The result is outstanding...quieter, smoother and finer quality cuts, as I use and sell Easy Wood Tools. If you are debating replacing your bearings it is a simple mechanical job and you'll be a happy turner when it's done.
    I don't use my lathe a great deal as you do, so I hope that my lathe bearings last the rest of my life. However, it is good to know that it is not a major undertaking if they do have to be replaced. Thanks.
    Richard

Comment

Working...