This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick_lindsey

Tools needed to get started turning?

Hello everyone! I've always been intrigued by turning ever since I first got to use a lathe back in middle school, and now that I own my own house, I've been thinking about building a woodshop. Funds are tight, though, so i need to prioritize, and I decided that turning interested me more than any of the other aspects of woodworking, so rather than save up $500 for a contractor's saw, I'd rather see what I'll need to get into turning!

I'd be starting with small stuff -- pens, wee bowls, boxes, goblets if I ever get that good, maybe even baby rattles with captive rings once I have skillz! Some day I'd like to turn a chess set, but who knows when.

Anyhow, given that funds are tight, what's the minimum toolset I would need? Obivously I'd need a lathe, i was thinking along the lines of a Jet Mini. I'd need a tool set, and I've heard that something like the cheap HF set will get you started -- is that a good way to go, or would I be better off picking and choosing just a few higher quality turning tools?

Other than the lathe and the gouges/skews/etc., what else would I need before I could get started? I see grinders on everyone's list o stuff to buy, but are they really necessary for the novice? I'm assuming you use them to sharpen your tools? I can see sharp tools as a requirement, but wonder whether there are other (cheaper) ways to keep your tools sharp.

Is a drill press required? How much easier is it to do things when y ou've got a bandsaw? Right now my tools consist of drills (a cheesy 6V ryobi cordless is hiding in a box somewhere, and I picked up a corded one when the hurricanes came through) and an el cheapo circular saw (bought to cut plywood for storm shutters). I've got a razor saw somewhere, and some basic exacto knives as well, but no dremel or other wee power tool.

I'm trying to figure out how much money I'll need to save up before I make the plunge, so that I don't get stuck with a lathe (whee!), but dull tools that I have no way to sharpen, or a lathe and sharp tools, but no way to do the required prep on the wood to get it ready for turning.

thanks for your time,
    Rick Lindsey
  • JeffW
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • San Antonio, Texas, USA.
    • BT3100

I started with and still use the HF 34706 lathe. You can find it on sale for about $179.00. I also got the HF HSS set for about $39.00 It is a good starter set, takes and holds an edge. A face shield and a wolverive jig and slow speed grinder for sharpening the tools is all it took. Plus wood

Second phase was to buy a decent chuck and a bowl gouge. Plus wood

I get a lot of cut-offs and practice wood from the turning club I belong to.

Next is to buy some more tools for hollowing stuff.

ps welcome to the forum.
    Measure twice, cut once, screw it up, start over

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

The HF 8pc HSS set is a great way to start. I don't have any kind of sharpening jigs, other than home-made large tool rests, but I did opt for a 6" variable speed grinder. You can make do with a 6" normal speed if you have one. If you're going to buy one special I'd maybe suggest an 8" slow speed which Woodcraft occasionally sells for ~$75.

Also, I don't know if these are in the HF catalog or website, but I've picked up a couple 3pc HSS mini sets for $10. Includes 1/2" skew, small roughing gouge, and 1/16" parting tool. Great for pen (or other small) turning.

So, Jet mini, HF turning tools, and a grinder. Then decide where to go from there.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• Whaler
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Sequim, WA, USA.
        • DW746

The Jet mini is running $199.00 now, I have one and love it. The speed change by moving the belt only takes seconds so I wouldn't spend the extra $100.00 for the VS model.

I think the HF tool set is good for starters. You can allways add to it.

A sharpening system is a must, no tool comes out of the box sharp enough to use. The Woodcraft 8" slow speed grinder is great and is about $90.00. I just added a Wolverine jig to mine but sharpened for about a year without it.

If you are going to turn pens I think a drill press is necessary for a perpendicular hole, I use a 12" Delta bench top about $170.00. A center drilling jig is nice but you can improvise. You will need a drill press with at least a 2 3/8" quill travel.

The list could go on forever but start with the basics and add on later.

Jet 1014 mini lathe
        Woodcraft slow speed grinder
        12" bench top drill press
        Turning tools
        Depending on the sales you catch I am guessing aground $500.00.
        Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• guycox
          Established Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Romulak, VA, USA.

A chainsaw or at least a good size bow saw. Once you spin your first piece of <s>junk</s> recycled wood into a beautiful bowl, weed pot or hollow vessel, you'll never be able to pass a downed tree or pile of brush without at least slowing down for a peek.
          Guy Cox

Life isn\'t like a box of chocolates...it\'s more like a jar of jalapenos.
          What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.

Comment

Working...