• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • foneman
    Established Member
    • Jul 2003
    • kansas, USA.

Penn State chuck

I am looking for opinions on the Penn State model CUG3418 chuck with 2 sets of jaws. Is it worth the money, $59.95 if I mention the Wood magazine article, or should a person save their $$$ for a more expensive one?

http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...egory_Code=CHU

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions.
    john
  • Whit
    Established Member
    • Apr 2003
    • Denton, Tx, USA.
    • BT3000, BT3100

John, there was a comparison article several months ago on chucks. Will see if I can fimd the mag. They tested the Penn State CMG chuck and gave it good reviews. I have the Talon and have been pleased with it but it is much more $$$. If I were buying today I would give the CMG a try. Seems like someone on one of the forums had runout problems wisth theirs, but Penn State replaced the chuck. Maybe someone else will chime in here with more info
    Whit

Comment

• kwgeorge
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Alvin, TX, USA.

The only real issue that I have with these chucks is the limited amount of jaws available. So when you buy one you pretty much are going to use it in that configuration. This is not always a bad thing. I read the same review and it was favorable to this chuck. Some people have reported excessive runout and had to return to PSI.

I like the new metal lathe chuck documentation, if you have unacceptable runout on one of these chucks you simply remove the chuck from the back plate and turn a bit off the plate!

Speaking of chucks I just got the new Grizzly catalog today and they have a new wood chuck that looks just like my Vicmarc!

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...mnumber=h6265&

Comment

• Whit
        Established Member
        • Apr 2003
        • Denton, Tx, USA.
        • BT3000, BT3100

John, I was not able to find the article, but you might ask the same question on the Wood magazine turning forum below.
        http://dgroups.woodmagazine.com/n/pf...ag=woodturning
        Good luck.
        Whit

Comment

• foneman
          Established Member
          • Jul 2003
          • kansas, USA.

Thanks Whit and KW for your thoughts. I am debating between the Penn State chuck and the new Griz.

john
          john

Comment

• bmyers
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2003
            • Fishkill, NY
            • bt 3100

They do make a cole jaw set for that chuck now. It's got a 8" capacity. I might pick one up myself here. Still waiting for my new chisels..

Bill
            "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

Working...