• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Other Stuff I've Been Busy With

I finally brought the lathe home from my dad's last Thanksgiving. After some rehab and a turning class this spring, here are a few pics. I have half a dozen other bowls drying, plus I've made some mallets and even some funnels. I also turned a vase and some tulips for my wife but no pics yet.

My first bowl, an endgrain mystery wood.

Mulberry bowl 7" deep by about 4 wide. Sanded to 400 and 5 coats of shellac.

Cedar but I don't like it and will probably turn that tall foot off.

Green oak burl that is drying. I am going to fill that inclusion with colored epoxy. I am surprised it has not checked yet, given the variations in wood grain and wall thickness.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • jking
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

Nice work. I've been wanting to start turning some small bowls, but, I'm without a chuck. I could use the faceplate to get started (as long as I'm not doing endgrain turning), but, I'd have to make a jam chuck to finish the base. I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

I really like the shape of the mulberry bowl.

Comment

• crokett
      The Full Monte
      • Jan 2003
      • Mebane, NC, USA.
      • Ryobi BT3000

Look up making a donut chuck. I have mine half done, still have to turn the donut part. It will let you finish the bottom.
      David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• guycox
        Established Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Romulak, VA, USA.

Originally posted by jking
        Nice work. I've been wanting to start turning some small bowls, but, I'm without a chuck. I could use the faceplate to get started (as long as I'm not doing endgrain turning), but, I'd have to make a jam chuck to finish the base. I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

I really like the shape of the mulberry bowl.
        Donut - compression chuck for the bottom -
        2 pieces 3/4 ply cut round
        drill 1/4 hole though both pieces -- get the 4" carriage bolts.
        Bolt pices together.
        Attach to faceplate.
        Turn a 3" donut hole in the ouboard piece.
        Put in the long bolts..
        Then sandwich your bowl between the 2 pieces of ply with the bottom sticking out of the hole..

No chuck required..
        Guy Cox

Life isn\'t like a box of chocolates...it\'s more like a jar of jalapenos.
        What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.

Comment

• RMCWoodWorks
          Forum Newbie
          • Dec 2010

You may want to check out the lung concerns with turning cedar ... my doctor says I shouldn't do any more ...

Comment

Working...