• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Spalted Sycamore for Turning?

A coworker brought me a branch segment cut from his sycamore some years back, appears to have spalted a bit. Is sycamore worthwhile for turning? If I cut this up for pen blanks, is there anything special I need to consider for turning?
    Bill in Buena Park
  • dangre
    Norum Fewbie
    • Oct 2009
    • Gardnerville, NV
    • BT3100-1

Bill
    Sycamore is a good turning wood. No special tools, but if you're good with a skew, it will minimize the sanding. Just the usual precautions about breathing the fungal dust from the spalting.

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
    A coworker brought me a branch segment cut from his sycamore some years back, appears to have spalted a bit. Is sycamore worthwhile for turning? If I cut this up for pen blanks, is there anything special I need to consider for turning?
    Dan

In a recent survey, 4 out of 5 hammers preferred thumbs.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Thanks Dan. I'll give it a try and see what results.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Joe DeFazio
        Forum Newbie
        • Jan 2006
        • Pittsburgh, PA
        • BT3100

I love sycamore. The medullary rays, which are the best part of sycamore's visual appearance, show up best in quartersawn wood, by far. I'm not sure how well the rays will show up on something as small as a pen, which, of course, will only have two tiny streaks of truly quartersawn wood running the length of the pen.

If there is an area bisected by the spalting pattern, I would try to make a pen blank that is half spalted and half solid wood - might be a more insteresting visual pattern that way. For something as thin as pen walls, I would treat the spalted areas with thin CA glue before turning and periodically again while turning. And do be very careful of that spalted sawdust - serious lung infections can ensue.

If you have a large enough branch to get even a small quartersawn bowl or platter blank, I would try to make a little open-faced platter or shallow bowl (with the quartersawn wood showing up along the flattish interior surface as well as the bottom).

I don't have any pics of sycamore turnings, but here is a piece of quartersawn sycamore veneer I have, just to give you an idea of the lace-like pattern that the quartersawn wood displays:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sycamore.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	785575

To give you an idea of scale, the pictured area is about the size of a sheet of notebook paper. I think it's worth it to cut even a small quartersawn blank if possible. And, if you do, please show us a picture of your turning when you are done!

Joe

Edit: The pic above is unfinished veneer. The lace patterning shows up even more dramatically once you oil the wood or apply a finish.
        Last edited by Joe DeFazio; 02-13-2011, 01:34 AM. Reason: added footer

Comment

Working...