• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Pen Press

Not a unique idea, but cheap. I didn't trust my spreader clamps to finesse pen assembly. This short pipe clamp bedded in a frame gives me just the right amount of control when assembling pen parts. Used Liquid Nails to secure the pipe to the bed, and I can clamp it to the workbench. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
    Bill in Buena Park
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Great idea...need to borrow it. I am getting started in pen turning and have been looking for something instead of having to buy a pen press.

Thanks

Ken

Comment

• Whaler
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Sequim, WA, USA.
      • DW746

Great idea Bill, that is one of the better looking homemade ones that I have seen.
      Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Hey, I can make that! I even have the components already!

Great idea! Thanks for sharing.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Thanks guys. Credit for idea goes to my neighbor, the period furniture guy. I was going to make one from a toggle clamp, but was concerned about controlling the pressure, and he said "why not a pipe clamp?" - and I knew it would need to rest in some kind of base. Its not for "fast" work - but I don't have "pressing" deadlines.

1/2 pipe clamp from HF, ~$5 I believe, and 12" segment of pipe from BORG, ~$3, base frame from scraps.

Not clear in the photo is the forstner mortise hole in frame (on left end in photo) to receive that end of the pipe, and a little riser strip under the fixed/screw end of the clamp (right side in photo) - both located just high enough off the base so the clamp clears the base (no drag) when tightening the clamp. Liquid nails in mortise and little riser strip hold it in place. Hot glued the rosewood scraps to the clamp faces for parts protection.
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...