• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

A different style box.

Well I have been working on a different type of box and below is a picture of the results. I went ahead and recorded the process of my making this box since the lid is fitted internally instead of externally.

Here is the pictorial for anyone interested in how this box came to be and I hope you find it entertaining.

http://www.theturnersshop.com/turnin...infitlid1.html

• Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Exxcellent work again with the write up. Thats a stunning peice. I think if you keep trying with these boxes that you will eventually get good at it. [)] At first, I wanted to see how you put the brass around the rim. I just knew it was metal and that you had used your new baby. That ebony looks just like metal. Thats a tribute to your finish, which is great too. Okay, you're an artist. Admit it. Anyone can turn a peice of wood round. This is much more than just round.
    Lee

Comment

• Chuck C
      Established Member
      • Dec 2002
      • USA.

Fantastic turning, Fantastic instruction and Fantastic selection of materials. Thanks for letting us in on that.
      Chuck C

If the skipper heard you call that deck a floor he would throw you through that little round window

Comment

• Whaler
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Sequim, WA, USA.
        • DW746

Ken

You had to go and do it again. Awsome!!!!!!!!!
        Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• boblon
          • Aug 2003
          • Florida, USA.

A real beauty Ken.

I must admit I jumped to the same conclusion about the rim. I figured with your new baby we were in for some hybrids.

BobL.
          "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• Mort
            Established Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Ellenton, FL - winter, USA.

As usual, very nice.
            Even a blind hog finds an acorn from time to time.

Comment

• mudder
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • I live in a house
              • Delta 36-650

Well Kenneth.

A week went by and we knew you were off, did not see much from you. I was beginning to think you fell off the end of the world [8D]. Very nice work. But you still ain't made a corncob pen, none of you can duplicate my feat.

HA! The challange has been made.

neener, neener, neener!

Mudder

P.S. you suck!

Comment

• kwgeorge
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Alvin, TX, USA.

Thanks for the nice comments guys, this one was a little nerve racking due to the softness of the wood and the bark. I also picked up a nice piece of Big Leaf maple burl that I have made 1 pen out of. Man is it soft! Cuts pretty clean though.

Lee, I hope to get good at this one day! I figure I will just keep makin em till I do! I got the lathe all set up out in the shop and have been monkeying around with all the different things. I don’t care too much for the thread dial so I think I need to make a reference stop for the bed like in the old days. I also need to remove a slight amount of play in the cross slide but that is just an adjustment. The auto feed works great but the only thing I have had to cut is some poor junk metal. I am going to order bits and steel this week. Until then I am just going to keep playing with everything.

Scott, I have been kept terrible busy all week by the wife and managed to come down with a sinus headache so I have done very little in the shop this week. I told my wife I was going to do nothing today but piddle in the shop.

Dang, Scott! Where am I going to find corn cobs! Jeeze!

Comment

Working...