• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lago
    Established Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Lago Vista, TX.

Lathe questions?

I want to start turning some bottle stoppers so I went to a free demo at Woodcraft a few weeks ago. I have tried it before but probably got a bit aggresive and messed up before I finished the stopper. After seeing the demo, I realized that I don't have the right stuff on the lathe.

I have a Delta 12" variable speed lathe with a 3 jaw chuck. The demo used a collet chuck which looked like it worked a lot better. So, I am looking for one now.

Since I really don't know exactly what will work best for what I want to do, I am looking for suggestions. I have the PSI catalog but again, not wure what will work best. I am also open to suggestions from other sources.

TIA
    Ken
  • eezlock
    • Feb 2006
    • Charlotte,N.C.
    • BT3100

lathe questions

One of the best places for info. is from Penn State Ind. They have a good line of turning supplies, tools, chucks and just about everything else. I have one of their collet chucks for my Jet lathe and works well for me. If I remember correctly, they sell their collet chucks with a hanger screw that can also be used on the collet chuck when needed...it really makes turning small pieces
    a lot faster and easier as well. Give them a try...you'll like their stuff!

Comment

• Whaler
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Sequim, WA, USA.
      • DW746

I have been turning stoppers for 10 years or so and don't have a collet chuck. I started out using a drill chuck in the headstock now use a 4 jaw chuck which I think has more uses than collets. I now am using the PSI micro Barracuda for the Woodcraft mandrel. If you do the PSI stoppers their mandrel screws onto the headstock and works great.
      If you do decide to get a collet set the PSI unit is well thought of.
      Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • On the TARDIS
        • BT 3100

I started by turning bottle stoppers. I bought a starter kit from a Canadian supplier and a drill chuck from Lee Valley. Be careful though. It's very addictive and soon you will be turning more than just stoppers!
        From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• lago
          Established Member
          • Nov 2003
          • Lago Vista, TX.

BTW - Have another lathe question. What is a live tailstock? I have seen a lot of refernces to that. The tailstock on my lathe spins freely.

Ken

Comment

• Russianwolf
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
            • One of them there Toy saws

free spinning = has bearings = live center,
            one solid piece = dead center.

Spur centers are dead for example (in most cases), but you can get a 60 degree dead center with no spurs.
            Mike
            Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

Working...