• Show
Clear All
  • maxparot
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
    • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Hope to be turning beautiful pieces soon

Well after seeing all the gorgeous work you all have done I've made the jump and purchased a lathe.
    I was able to get the HF 12 x 36 heavy duty cast iron unit for $168
    I think/hope it will be a good tool for me to start out on.
    I'm off to my workshop to put it together.
    Opinions are like gas;
    I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.
  • bmyers
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Fishkill, NY
    • bt 3100

Hey Max,
    Great little lathe you picked up there. I have one also. If you have no lathe experience at all, I'd be glad to offer what little I've gathered in my couple of years of turning. Nothing great but if you're interested, send me an email. I live in Chandler.

Bill
    "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• kwgeorge
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Alvin, TX, USA.

Welcome to the wonderful world of turning square wood round! It is a never ending hole too where all your money will flow but it is so worth it! Look forward to seeing some of your work.

Comment

• maxparot
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
        • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I'll definately take you up on that Bill
        Opinions are like gas;
        I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• boblon
          • Aug 2003
          • Florida, USA.

That's also the same lathe I have. It's has had it's few quirks, but overall has done a good job. I highly recommend spending some time on KWGeorge's web site. A LOT of great information there.

I picked up a couple of DVD's that helped too.

Have fun and can't wait to see what you come up with.

BobL.
          "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• CrashResq
            Established Member
            • Apr 2003
            • Okmulgee, OK, USA
            • Ryobi BT3100

Welcome to the madne.... no, addicti..... no, well it's something between a madness and addiction . Let's just say you won't look at trees and piles of firewood quite the same ever again! I've found the Raffan video's to be a great help to me (just remember, he does this for a living and has been doing it for over 20 years... I'm still trying to figure out how he does some of those things!), there are lots of good web resources and last but certainly not least, make sure you hit our resident turning Guru, Kenneth Georges site. He has the wonderful ability to make things that look complicated, easy.

I may have to drop in on ya this spring to Bill.... the financial institution I work for just purchased Valley Commerce Bancorp in Phoenix so we'll be doing a conversion this spring. Not positive I'll be working on this one being that Vally Commerce has only two locations, but I love Arizona so will be battling for one of the branches

Have you ever been to Quartzsite during the Jan/Feb gem show? My father and I used to go every year, but we haven't had the opportunity in the last couple years... we are planning on going during the 2006 show.
            Bill (in OK)

Comment

Working...