• Show
Clear All
  • mudder
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • I live in a house
    • Delta 36-650

How well were your turnings received?

This year I made pens as my gifts to friends, coworkers and my mother/sister-in-laws and LOML’s grandmother. All in all, I really was pleased at the looks on their faces when they opened it and realized what it was. All but one seemed to be truly touched to be thought of with a handmade gift. I made a grand total of 47 pens and when I was done I had but one pen left for myself. I thought it was well worth the time spent and it really gave me a good feeling.

So……..tell us, how were your gifts from the lathe received?

Mudder
  • Maax
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2003
    • Yakima, Washington, USA.

Mudder, I made a couple pens for my daughter, but what really made me feel good, was her reaction to a walking stick that I had turned. I had turned it in four sections and tried to make it a one of a kind . She likes to hike a lot, and she would'nt let anybody stand it up in the corner for her after she unwrapped it. She just sat there and held it the rest of the evening. So I guess that was a success, and yea there is a great feeling of satisfaction.

Larry

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

I got a chance to turn some pens on the metal lathe. I know thats cheating, but it is so well suited to the task. [8D]
      I passed them all out at the neighbors house and had enough for everyone. They all had to come and see how and where I made these. They were truly surprised as well as gracious. Great gifts for sure.
      Lee

Comment

• bmyers
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2003
        • Fishkill, NY
        • bt 3100

I made turned mahog/paduak boxes for everyone. Saved a bunch of money and made a gift that will not be forgotten for quite a long time.

I think next year I'll go with some nice rolling pins for the ladies and I dunno what for the gents. Only 364 days tills Christmas! I better get started now..

Bill
        "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• Scottydont
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Edmonds, WA, USA.
          • Delta Industrial Hybrid

My family always new that I liked woodworking. Most of the evidence of my work has been in home remodeling stuff, decks etc. Last year I turned pens and bottle stoppers for all of them. Like your experince Scott, the looks on their faces were priceless! Not to mention the comments that went on and on "You made these?", "No-way!".It was a chore doing them all amidst the other Christmas shopping and um, my job! Seriously though those were the most gratifying gifts I have ever given my family memebers. Next year I am going to be giving them hand turned ornaments. I guess I better be paying more attention to Ken's finials!
          Scott
          "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• Jim Boyd
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
            • Delta Unisaw

We siblings draw names and this year I got my SIL. I played a trick on her this year. After the bowl was packed I added another layer of news paper and put in some scrap lumber with the note;

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
            Teach him to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
            This year instead of making something I decided to teach you
            how to make your own. Here is your rough stock.

Jim"

The look on her face after reading the note was priceless!

The bowl went over good too!

Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• kwgeorge
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Alvin, TX, USA.

It was a lot of work and a lot pressure to get everything done that had been requested. It is very hard to give one person something without giving everyone something at this type of gathering. Everybody seemed to really enjoy the gifts and bragged on them so I guess it went well. I am glad to be back turning what I want rather than what is requested.

Wish I had thought of that Jim, that is funny!

Comment

• SteveR
                Established Member
                • Feb 2003
                • USA.

[quote]Originally posted by Jim Boyd

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.
                Teach him to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
                This year instead of making something I decided to teach you
                how to make your own. Here is your rough stock."[quote]
                LOL too funny......I need to borrow that for next year LOL

Comment

• boblon
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Florida, USA.

I took the dozen or so pens I made up here to Michigan with me to give out. I wasn't expecting much cuz my family can be a little.....well let's just say...goofy sometimes.

But like others, I was amazed at how well they were recieved. Especially by the women kinfolk. They were amazed that I had made them and all thought they were truly special gifts. It does warm the heart

BobL.
                  "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• gerti
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I made pens for my mother, brothers and their wives. Sadly they live in Germany and I did not get to see their faces, but I hear it was very well received. The most fun though was the present I made for my FIL. He collects, polishes and cuts rocks (I jokingly say he polishes the world one rock at a time). He's been having tumblers going for years now. For a long time now I pondered what to make out of those (he makes jewelry, bow ties etc out of them). I am still pondering to make sort of a semi-transparent window out of some of them.

Anyhow I ended up making a small Kaleidoscope (Lee Valley kit), using spalted maple from a tree felled next to his house a few years back, and replacing the cheesy plastic jewels with some of his tiny translucent polished stones. When my wife and I gave it to him he looked through it for a while, showed it to everybody else, held it for a while and then put it in his pocket. He seemed quite fond of it. Made my day!

Gerd

Comment

• Jim Boyd
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Montgomery, Texas, USA.
                      • Delta Unisaw

Seems my wife got the unwraping and reading of the note on film

Reading the note

Perplexed look saying "What the #$%^&"

My redemtion
                      Jim in Texas and Sicko Ryobi Cult Member ©

Comment

• CrashResq
                        Established Member
                        • Apr 2003
                        • Okmulgee, OK, USA
                        • Ryobi BT3100

The many spatulas, goblets, spoons and scoops went over great.... I was pleased. It's a blast to make them and even better to see the looks on the faces of those receiving. The one thing I kept hearing over and over was "we want MORE!!!".... here's a tip guys.... the gals LOVE the spatulas... and they're quick and easy to make.

Jim... that series of photo's is great!... I love that "what the 'heck'" look on her face in the second one.

Now I gotta get back out to the shop and play with the haul I got Friday while up at the inlaws (they live about 5 miles from the little lumber mill I get all my OK native woods from) I got some Sycamore, a couple pieces of osage orange and a slab of cherry that is 20" wide, 24" long and 2.5" thick... this one is going to be fun!

Bill (in OK)

Comment

• mudder
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • I live in a house
                          • Delta 36-650

Jim,

The pictures are priceless!
                          BTW, that's a cute pup in those pics. Is it a pug?

Mudder

Comment

Working...