• Show
Clear All
  • young woodworker
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2009
    • Pahrump, NV
    • Ryobi BT3000

beginners projects

I just bought a lathe and chisel set yesterday. I don't have the extra cash to buy a chuck or any other accessories, and I am having trouble finding projects that don't require a chuck or an extra accessory. Any suggestions for beginners projects would be great. Thanks
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

The first project you will need to do is find a system ( that suits your needs, ability, and cash flow) to sharpen your chisels. Most chisels in average price ranges will need sharpening even though they are brand new. Trying to work with dull tools is never fun. Once you do this, I would suggest that you experiment by making some spindles to get a feel for the tools and lathe.
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Yes! Practice first, then projects... Nothing worse than screwing up a nice piece of wood. Learn how to use the roughing gouge first, then the spindle gouge. Then, work with the skew chisel. Learn to sharpen and hone your tools (honing will help you make the most of your time between sharpenings). Look online for free video resources on how to use and sharpen your tools. Learn the difference between hardwoods and soft.

Then, on with the projects!

P.S. Don't forget to put safety first. Do things the right way. First rule: Eye protection!

P.S.S. Forgot to mention... Look for a local woodworkers' or turners' club... Often they meet in a Woodcraft or Rockler store... Often, the old timers there are eager to mentor a youngster new to the craft...
      Last edited by Uncle Cracker; 06-13-2010, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• young woodworker
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2009
        • Pahrump, NV
        • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks for all the information guys.

Comment

• guycox
          Established Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Romulak, VA, USA.

Door Stops- are a favorite... Unless you live in a tent or have all pocket door everybody needs one..I dend to make mine with more of knob - narrower down near the pommel ( transition from round to square..).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gqaBXC0qvo
          Guy Cox

Life isn\'t like a box of chocolates...it\'s more like a jar of jalapenos.
          What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.

Comment

• gerti
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
            • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
            Learn to sharpen and hone your tools
            Hmm... I know Alan Lacer for one (who is a member in our local wood turners chapter and whom I respect a lot) is a big proponent of honing. However I also know a number of well regarded turners who do not agree. Both sides have valid arguments. Me, I might hone for that perfect finish cut on difficult wood, but otherwise not.

Comment

Working...