• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

Is it over yet?

Well I don’t know about you guys but this Christmas stuff is starting to get to me! Everybody wants something lathed from me. Not only do I have to make it but I have to worry if they will like what I did or not. It is much easier when the only critic I care about is the wife and you guys. So anyhow I have been in the shop the last couple of nights and this is what I have done so far.

Here are two pens the one on the left is Buckeye Burl and on the right is Redwood Burl.

Then I decided to make a small goblet and see just how thin of a stem I could make. Even with my custom attachment to the live center I chickened out with what you see. You can scale by the quarter sitting next to it. This is Granadillo.

I made this box out of Quilted Maple. It is much better in person as the figure changes depending on how the light is hitting it.

I hope to spend quite a bit of time in the shop through the Holidays as my company saves up many of the holidays during the year so I don’t have to go back to work till January! (And if I get a “You Suck” it will probably be for my up in coming shop time )

• Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

Ken

WOW to the turnings.
    No comment on the time off, I work tomorrow and then am off untill 1/6, should get a couple hours shop time during that break.

Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• mudder
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • I live in a house
      • Delta 36-650

Is that a Texas Quarter?

The pens are interesting, kind of looks like you "stabbed" the wood with them.

Lots of shop time ahead of you?

All I can say is this:

SINCE YOU ARE EXPECTING IT, YOU WON'T GET ONE!

Mudder

P.S. YOU REALLY SUCK!
      Wish I could get half that amount of shop time, why I'd make..........Grumble, Moan, Grumble.......Back to bed I go.

Comment

• boblon
        • Aug 2003
        • Florida, USA.

Ken,
        You've posted some fine stuff before, but these four are exceptional. I'll bet that maple box really shines in person.

I know what you mean about worrying whether folks will like the gifts you've made for them, but I have a feeling you are told the same thing I am. That is that I am my own worst critic.

I've bid on a few blanks of that redwood and buckeye burl on E-Bay, but haven't got any yet (gets pricey). I'll bet those pens are really pretty.

If that quilted maple is anything like that hard maple I made my goblet from, I'd like to know how you went about hollowing it. That is if you did anything differently from your other boxes.

I really like the shape of that box too, gonna have to copy that one (as well as several of the ones you've shown).

Anyhow, It's 5am here and I need to get to the airport. Will have my laptop so I'll be able to check in, just won't get any shop time for the next week.

Hope everyone has a healthy and happy holiday season.........

BobL.
        "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

anybody don't like their gifts, give them my address and tell them to pass the stuff on!
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• Denco
            • Mar 2003
            • Coming soon: California
            • BT3100

Top notch as usual, Ken!
            *****Measure twice, cut once.....rats, back to the lumber yard.*****

Comment

Working...