X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tribalwind
    • Feb 2004
    • long island, ny.

I'm a member !

i finally got myself to the LIWA meeting (long island woodturers assoc.)
    i was pleasantly surprised to find that this months meeting was a "special guest" demonstraion. they had Dr. Andi Wolfe !!! i had actually come across her work online long ago and we corresponded by email a few times(we both play celtic music and love plants heh)

she showed her surface treatment techniques for doing pyrography,prismacolor markers,and iridescent painting,as well as making templates and tracing onto the wood, i was amazed by how nice the markers look when blended together.she used a little alcohol (rubbing or iso)with a painters brush first on the wood where its to be marked,this keeps the color from blotching/evens it out.
    then again to blend colors.i went on ebay last night and found great prices on these markers.at my art store nearby they were $2.50 each, i bought 54 on ebay for total of $35 (35 colored,rest are grays i think)these are double ended alcohol based artists markers,one end is skew-chisel like and other is fine tip. also got some EEE,deft,and HUT wax bars (at craft usa) surprised that noone sold that stuff on ebay.these finishing supplies sure add up quickly,hope i can offset this with those stoppers or some flutes! theres SO many products out there i'm not sure what to try.i wanted to get buffing wheels too but i saw a lot of varying prices so ill shop a bit.

after that meeting i joined up right away.i think they're a chapter of AAW,but dues were only $25/yr so not sure if im now an aaw member as aaw's site shows dues of $45 i think,ill have to ask.i like that journal aaw puts out,got some older issues from man who sold me the lathe.

also turns out theres 2 members from my town there too!so will have some local guys to help me out and carpool with, literally walking distance from me.
    namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com
  • mudder
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • I live in a house
    • Delta 36-650

I doubt that you are an AAW member. My club is affiliated with the AAW but joining the club does not make you a AAW member. Most clubs use the dues to pay for their demonstrators, supplies, and maybe a picnic in the summer.

Mudder

Comment

• tribalwind
      • Feb 2004
      • long island, ny.

i think you're right mudder,it goes to pay rental space etc.
      if the main benefit of aaw is the magazine i think ill pass for now and borrow someones in the club.

Comment

• Mort
        Established Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Ellenton, FL - winter, USA.

I am a member of the Sarasota {Florida} wood turners, the nearest club from or summer place in Maine is a 6 hour one way drive. I gave that a pass. Membership in a local club does not include membership in AAW
        This is what AAW says are the benefits of membership
        http://woodturner.org/org/mbrship/
        IMO it is mostly the magazine. Annual dues BTW went from $35/year to $40/year in the last few months. An interesting trick AAW has is the subscription period. Join in the month of December 2004 and get all four 2004 issues of the magazine. If you want the magazine in 2005 pony up for two years dues. Other than the angel article the most recent edition of the Mag is not up to the standard of the issues plubished in the late 1990's - borrow those if you can.
        Even a blind hog finds an acorn from time to time.

Comment

• Mort
          Established Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Ellenton, FL - winter, USA.

Forgot - congrats on joining the local club - an excellent resource in my experience - I have gotten 50 times the $20/year dues in advise, help and knowledge from the club members.

Even a blind hog finds an acorn from time to time.

Comment

• kwgeorge
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Alvin, TX, USA.

I am with Mort; about the only benefit that I have from my membership is the magazine that really is not all that good. It has a few interesting thoughts in it but is it really worth what I am paying? I can pick it up at the local book store if I were not a member. The forum is not very good either. You would think that the AWW forum would be THE place to exchange woodturing thoughts and ideas but it is not. Only a couple of people ever answer questions and the threads seem to generally turn into an ego match.

Next month I am planning on joining the local club in Houston as I think I will get a lot more out of that.

Comment

• mudder
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • I live in a house
              • Delta 36-650

quote:Originally posted by kwgeorge

Next month I am planning on joining the local club in Houston as I think I will get a lot more out of that.
              Ken,

I think you will be one who gives more knowledge than he receives. We need more turners like you.

Mudder

Comment

• tribalwind
                • Feb 2004
                • long island, ny.

i'm really looking forward to the january meeting,and working with the local guys soon after the holiday madness,

so what other turning mags are there?
                p.s heres a link to andi's work/site
                www.andiwolfe.com

Comment

Working...