X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tribalwind
    • Feb 2004
    • long island, ny.

rethreading die-- "square cut"

so THIS is the style i need to repair the threads on my spindle(on in and outboard so unfortunately would need left and right threading)

i havent been able to find one..the die i got from mcmaster carr was V cut i guess its called,no flat on top like mine.
    any help would be a godsend. havent turned a single thing on that powermatic since its been here, im sure some of u can feel my pain
    namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com
  • mudder
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • I live in a house
    • Delta 36-650

quote:Originally posted by tribalwind

so THIS is the style i need to repair the threads on my spindle(on in and outboard so unfortunately would need left and right threading)

i havent been able to find one..the die i got from mcmaster carr was V cut i guess its called,no flat on top like mine.
    any help would be a godsend. havent turned a single thing on that powermatic since its been here, im sure some of u can feel my pain
    You probably need to take it to a machine shop and have them single point cut the thread again. Getting a specialty die could run into hundreds of dollars and might still not work correctly. If you are on Long Island I may be able to give you a leade on a shop.

Mudder

Comment

• kwgeorge
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Alvin, TX, USA.

There is usually more than one way to do something. Post some pictures of the problem close-up and let’s see what all the brains here can come up with. I agree with Scott that getting the die could cost as much as replacing the spindle.

Comment

• maxparot
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
        • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

The only threads I know of with a flat on top are called Acme threads but you'd need to get an Acme thread gauge to find out the size you need.
        Opinions are like gas;
        I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• mudder
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • I live in a house
          • Delta 36-650

quote:Originally posted by maxparot

The only threads I know of with a flat on top are called Acme threads but you'd need to get an Acme thread gauge to find out the size you need.
          Or British Wihtworth threads. There is also a square thread used on Gun barrels but I cannot remember the name. I'll look at my Machinest handbook and see if I can come up with more.

Mudder

(EDIT) I was thinking of the modified square thread. The Whitworth is a sharp thread. I stand corrected.

Comment

• mudder
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • I live in a house
            • Delta 36-650

Don't know if this helps or not but worth a look.

http://www.partsdepotusa.com/ITEMvie...=PW3277009ASSY

No price listed so I think you'll cringe when you hear it.

they have a PDF of the manual here:

http://www.partsdepotusa.com/catalog-manuals.html

Mudder

Comment

• tribalwind
              • Feb 2004
              • long island, ny.

ok heres some pics. i got quicktime videos of it hand-turning too but theyre 4.5 megs each, i can email anyone .
              i think if i can file/grind off the end thread down flat from the end
              i might have a shot.im still a little chicken lol but whatever it takes..

mudder i know the spindle was 500 at 2 places.ive actually seen that page before too! thanks.

Comment

• kwgeorge
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Alvin, TX, USA.

Dude! That is not that bad at all! A small triangle file will fix you right up. I have done it many times in the past. Just a bit of patience and work and you will be in business.

Comment

• tribalwind
                  • Feb 2004
                  • long island, ny.

it's difficult to see in the pic but the fist thread(shiny form filing) is kind of pancaked/compressed,so the bottom of the grove is thicker than the rest..ill give it soem more filing tonight.i also didnt to a good job of showing the 1st thread where a section broke out.ill have to grind/file that down rest of the way.
                  its wierd cause the attachments all go on halfway n stop..not trued. but hte other threads are all fine. well enough typing i better work on it s'more.

Comment

Working...