• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chuck C
    Established Member
    • Dec 2002
    • USA.

Pictures

I cannot seem to get a good picture of pens to put on the forum. Can someone recommend a way to take the picture. Point and shoot just doesn't work. I have 5mp camera and can bring it down to 640x480. Maybe a little tutorial on taking pics? Thanks.
    Chuck C

If the skipper heard you call that deck a floor he would throw you through that little round window
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

I’m with you Chuck, I have been reading and studying on picture taking for several weeks now and have gathered enough information to embark on a mini studio. I am just not happy with my finished pictures and the shadows I seem to always get.

I will be experimenting this weekend and if it all works out I will put it together in my usual form.

Comment

• Scottydont
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Edmonds, WA, USA.
      • Delta Industrial Hybrid

Check out this article on a simple lighting setup that may give you a place to start. http://www.penturners.org/content/PhotoBooth.pdf
      Scott
      "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• Chuck C
        Established Member
        • Dec 2002
        • USA.

Thanks Scott, I'll try those suggestions in the URL. They seem to stress more indirect lighting. I have tried no lighting and flash with no success. With digital cameras you can try a lot but I was starting to get frustrated. Sam's site to the rescue again.
        Chuck C

If the skipper heard you call that deck a floor he would throw you through that little round window

Comment

• Mort
          Established Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Ellenton, FL - winter, USA.

Good post scotty
          Chuckc
          FWIW John Lucas' day job is photographing inanimate objests for museums etc. He also uses a styrofoam ice chest backlit with a high intensity shop light - the piece is placed inside the ice chest - this appeared in the latest edition of the AAW magazine. Lucas did a photo demo for the AAW Symposium in July in Orlando. A video will/may result. John has been busy and has not answered my email for a copy. Back lighting appears to be the key together with a "photo neutral" backgroung - blue or gray - another "trick" take the photos outside on a cloudy day without flash again a photo neutral background.

I am with you on the frustration levels and have tried the above with varying degrees of sucess ranging from none to low. A tripod will probably help my efforts. Results don't seem to be affected by the size of the image with the camera angle pointed slightly down at the piece. Best results so far have resulted from the cloudy day with a blue bath towel for a background - no I didn't get permission to use the towel, begging for forgiveness has not worked and offers to buy a new towel have been met with a stony silence and a stormy sea green eye color - bright blue eye color is good.

HTH
          Even a blind hog finds an acorn from time to time.

Comment

Working...