• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DaveinFloweryBranchGA
    Established Member
    • Oct 2004
    • Flowery Branch, Georgia, USA.

getting started

I bought the Harbor Freight lathe #34706 a while back when I still lived in an apartment, along with a set of their HSS chisels (their better set). I have now moved to a house with a basement garage and am wanting to set the lathe up and get it running.

My plan is to attach two pressure treated 4 X 4's I have to the base of the stand to give it a bit more weight and stability and to build or install a plywood shelf with sides to place additional weight (sandbags?) and my tools in until I can build a reasonable tool rack.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to get started as a woodturner (including a first project), since I've never done it in my life. I don't have at the present, but plan to get a slow speed water cooled bench grinder.

As an additional item of interest, the LOML has a high level of interest in this tool and my scroll saw.

thanks for any suggestions and help,

Dave
    Dave in Flowery Branch, GA
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

Hello Dave and welcome to the world of making square wood round again! Since you have not really set up the lathe yet I would make some suggestions. When setting up the lathe raise it if need be so that the spindle is even with your elbow when you are standing erect. This is the optimum position for turning that will lessen fatigue. If you are going to turn a lot of smaller objects then I suggest even raising it an inch or two higher. If your wife want to turn then find a happy medium where you both will be semi comfortable.

I would then tell you to get some video tutorial tapes. Raffans are very good but if you can find any Dick Sing is probably the best teacher of tool usage I have seen yet. Next get some very strait grained wood like cherry or even fir and practice spindle work. Just make shavings and get used to the tools. When I first started there was not a 2X4 safe any where around me!

Visit my site as I have posted quite a few tutorials and I always try to keep the beginner in mind. Now I make mostly boxes and such but you may pick up some information that could help. A good first project is any spindle work like candle holders or maybe a snow man since it is the season.

Feel free to ask any question that want and it will be answered here as this is a pretty friendly lot! I’m sure some of the other guys will chime in and I will always be around to help.

Comment

• gerti
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
      • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Any Rocklers or Woodcraft nearby? They sometimes have woodturning classes. Or check woodturners clubs, maybe something nearby. Turners tend to be quite social as long as they get enough shop time...

Gerd

Comment

• boblon
        • Aug 2003
        • Florida, USA.

Howdy Dave,
        I am a woodturning newbie too, with that same lathe. I don't have any Rocklers or Woodcrafts near me so I got me a few DVD's as was suggested by this forum. Although I believe live demonstration would be the way to go, the DVD's were (and still are) very helpful.
        KWGeorge's site is a great asset and I highly recommend you visit often. There is a wealth of information there that is very well organized and presented.
        Any other questions can be posted here and will more than likely be answered fairly quickly and accurately.
        As for the grinder, I believe most turners just use a bench grinder to sharpen thier chisels, a lot preferring a variable speed model. Some folks hone some don't. KWGeorges site contains information on this by the way. There are also jigs you can buy to facilitate sharpening your tools. You can also build versions of these same tools at home. I was going to build one, but for now have decided to see if I could get the hang of doing it by hand. I'm getting better, but have a long way to go. I may still build one to re-establish bevels and profile.
        I've only done 4 or 5 turning projects (a real newbie) and am still learning how to use the tools. My only practice turning involved turning less than two 18" practice spindle pieces of stock. I highly recommend you pactice more than that.
        I haven't had time to turn much lately, but I am itching to get back to it, it is fun to watch a square pice of wood take shape before your very eyes.
        Then there is finishing. Lots of opinions there. I have a long way to go in that department too. Once again, there is a very good primer on this on KWGeorges site.
        If you don't have one, I recommend a full faceshield for turning. They don't cost much and work well. Also, get some sort of dust mask (even if they're the disposable ones). Sanding on a lathe can cause some folks problems and some wood species can be very irritating.
        Anyhow, hope you find it as enjoyable as I do and I look forward to seeing some of your projects posted here.

BobL.
        "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• Mort
          Established Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Ellenton, FL - winter, USA.

Here is a list of the turning clubs in Georgia
          http://woodturner.org/community/chap...hapter+List#GA
          I suggest joining one nearby. Also IIRC you are not that far from the Arrowmont School and another The John C Campbell Folk School is fairly close here is a link to them http://folkschool.org they are the equal to or surpass Arrowmont.

Check this site out http://www.turningtools.co.uk/ Clifford has prepared video that are available on line look at the botton center of the home page.

Buy safety gear - at a minimun a full face mask and a dust mask - not the cheapie white jobs.

A simple project once you have learned how to handle the tools - is a paper towel holder. The LOYL will treasure it.

Might check to see if Georgia has a wood turning symposium. Florida is having it's symposium in mid January in Northern Florida. I will get the info if you want it.

HTH
          Even a blind hog finds an acorn from time to time.

Comment

• DaveinFloweryBranchGA
            Established Member
            • Oct 2004
            • Flowery Branch, Georgia, USA.

Thanks for the information gentleman.

Mort, I really appreciate the local information.

Dave
            Dave in Flowery Branch, GA

Comment

Working...