Clear All
  • Ron P.
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2008
    • Navarre Ohio
    • Ryobi BT300

New Turner Needs Hints

Hi Everyone,
    I,am going to turn some table legs and was wondering how to square the blanks before I start turning.I have a planer,jointer.table saw. Is there a procedure to ? joint one side,Then run that side against the fence on the saw.

Any hints
    Thanks Ron
  • warrenp
    Established Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Kentucky, USA.

Hi Ron,

I have only been turning for a short time, but I hear your question. This is just my opinion, but if I was just learning to turn I wouldn't worry about using the jointer and planer just yet.

When I was learning, I wanted the blank to be square so that it would spin smoothly. I would set the table saw to the width I wanted and trim the two sides so that they are the same width. If your table saw is square, then the sides will be square enough for turning.

Then to find the center of the blank at each end, just use a pencil to scribe a line across each corner.

Good luck,
    Warren

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

I'm assuming some parts of the blank are remaining square for the table, otherwise, see Warren's post.

To square up the blank:

1. Face joint one side, then
      2. Joint the 2nd side with the newly-jointed face against the fence
      3. Plane the remaining sides, alternately, until you get the thickness you want

This is slightly different than the usual technique for squaring up a board, as your blank has a square cross section.

I'd suggest doing all joinery after squaring up, but BEFORE any turning.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• Ron P.
        Forum Newbie
        • Oct 2008
        • Navarre Ohio
        • Ryobi BT300

Thanks Guys,
        That is exactly what I needed to know.Off to shop to make some table legs.
        http://www.bt3central.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
        Ron

Comment

Working...