• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grampy122
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2004
    • Sterling Heights, Michigan.

Peter Galbert caliper

Has any one tried one of these? It looked pertty slick so I ordered one yester day.

http://www.petergalbertchairmaker.com/caliper.html
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Way too expensive, IMHO. You can get a standard caliper for $5, and set it to the dimension you want and do the same thing. For the $75 difference, I'm fine with having to set it multiple times....

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

That does look kind of slick, but, for me, not slick enough for $75 (or $125 after 7/1!).

Sometimes, I'll make a gauge out of a (rectilinear) piece of wood so that the length, width, and thickness match 3 of the diameters that I want to replicate on my turning. Then, I can quickly set my calipers on this gauge to match.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• final_t
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003

Yea, got this in my email this morning from some WW list. I thought the same - clever, but who needs this? Then I remembered that the guy does it for a living, and that's the answer. High volume professional turners that need this.

For me, I use my HF digital calipers for most of this work. I figure for that price, I can buy a second set and braze on some extenders to reach that far over...

Comment

• just started
          • Mar 2008
          • suburban Philly

Originally posted by final_t
          Yea, got this in my email this morning from some WW list. I thought the same - clever, but who needs this? Then I remembered that the guy does it for a living, and that's the answer. High volume professional turners that need this.

For me, I use my HF digital calipers for most of this work. I figure for that price, I can buy a second set and braze on some extenders to reach that far over...
          Wouldn't a high volume pro use an automatic copier rather than doing them by hand?

Comment

• shoottx
            Veteran Member
            • May 2008
            • Plano, Texas
            • BT3000

I thought that is why I have a full set of open end wrenches.
            Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

Working...