• Show
Clear All
  • BerniePA
    Established Member
    • Nov 2007
    • San Tan Valley, AZ
    • Grizzly 0575

Tried BLO/CA today

I tried blo/ca for the first time today and I think I like it!!! I have a feeling all my pens will have this finish from now on. It seems like it offers much more protection, looks a lot better and is not that much harder or longer to do. Did I mention I think I like it??
    Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!
  • ragswl4
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Winchester, Ca
    • C-Man 22114

Originally posted by BerniePA
    I tried blo/ca for the first time today and I think I like it!!! I have a feeling all my pens will have this finish from now on. It seems like it offers much more protection, looks a lot better and is not that much harder or longer to do. Did I mention I think I like it??

Great, what were the steps that you used? I have tried it a couple of times with mixed success. Would appreciate it to know how you applied it. TIA (Thanks in Advance).
    RAGS
    Raggy and Me in San Felipe
    sigpic

Comment

• DonHo
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2004
      • Shawnee, OK, USA.
      • Craftsman 21829

I've not tried this method of CA/BLO finish but I watched a demo at the OK sub-forum meeting of IAP Saturday and I think this will be the method I use in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcgOf4siqc

DonHo
      Don

Comment

• BerniePA
        Established Member
        • Nov 2007
        • San Tan Valley, AZ
        • Grizzly 0575

Originally posted by DonHo
        I've not tried this method of CA/BLO finish but I watched a demo at the OK sub-forum meeting of IAP Saturday and I think this will be the method I use in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcgOf4siqc

DonHo
        That's exactly the method I followed and it worked out great for me. Very simple and I followed it up as he did after 6 coats with plastic polish and then just a smidgen of Johnson's Paste wax on my finger and then buffed off with a paper towel.
        Bernie

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

It took me a year and a half to master CA to the exptent that I could make adjustments in accordance to temp, humidity and wood type . . . and plain stupid mistakes. I am a slow learner! But I am diligent!
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• BerniePA
            Established Member
            • Nov 2007
            • San Tan Valley, AZ
            • Grizzly 0575

Originally posted by leehljp
            It took me a year and a half to master CA to the exptent that I could make adjustments in accordance to temp, humidity and wood type . . . and plain stupid mistakes. I am a slow learner! But I am diligent!
            I've only tried one so far and I think it was a total success. I guess you are trying to tell me that the next one might rear up and smack me up side the head and turn up all messed up? I could believe it, life usually goes that way!!!!
            Bernie

Comment

• Whaler
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Sequim, WA, USA.
              • DW746

I just started using BLO/CA myself and use the method mentioned above. I really like the results but I still see a place for friction finishes.
              If you want to put a real final shine on the turning use a dab of Ren Wax, it's expensive but it only takes a tiny bit for a pen.
              Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by BerniePA
                I've only tried one so far and I think it was a total success. I guess you are trying to tell me that the next one might rear up and smack me up side the head and turn up all messed up? I could believe it, life usually goes that way!!!!
                Well . . . sorta. CA, to me, is a lot like golf. That great drive is usually followed by a disaster as I try to get a few more yards the next time. After making a good pen, I figured experience would help towards the next one - and then I would rush it just a little, get paper towel caught, get bubbles in it, get "white" in it.

IMHO, Using CA is like a having a fine woman - it is beautiful but the "turn on" words keeps moving/changing.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• BigguyZ
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2006
                  • Minneapolis, MN
                  • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I've tried a few methods for CA. For BLO, I just rub in with a clean cloth... Then I apply the CA. I have two basic methods: The easiest, but the one that's fairly hit-or-mis is to apply a drop of CA to some sand paper, and sand it into the wood. It gives a nice shiny appearance, but leaves a "close to the wood" finish.

For figured woods and nicer kits, I do apply a heavy finish. I first turn the blank just past where I want the final diameter to be (I use calipers and turn on centers, I'll never use bushings again). Then, I build up the CA layer. You want it to be as even as possible. I use either medium or thick, and place a drop or two on my index finger, while wearing nitrile gloves. I then (preferably in one pass) spread the glue on the barrel. I then hit it with a mist of accelerator. Continue until you've built up a layer a bit larger than the final diameter. I then sand down to final dimension, careful not to go too far. That gets me about 1-3/1000th of an inch to were I want to be. I use MM pads to the highest grit, then 3M high performance rubbing compound on a clean cotton cloth.

It's a paint to do, but I've had good results. However, doing this will definitely make you appreciate using acrylics!

Comment

• DonHo
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                    • Craftsman 21829

" I just started using BLO/CA myself and use the method mentioned above. I really like the results but I still see a place for friction finishes.
                    If you want to put a real final shine on the turning use a dab of Ren Wax, it's expensive but it only takes a tiny bit for a pen."

I've never used Ren Wax but have heard great things about it but at the IAP sub-forum meeting I mentioned above, the gentleman doing the demo used WTS (wood trade secret, I belive) which he claimed was even better than Ren Wax. However, I'm not quite sure where to get WTS, but I think from a few of the guys on IAP

DonHo
                    Don

Comment

Working...