• Show
Clear All
  • drumpriest
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
    • Powermatic PM 2000

which chuck?

Any advise on which chuck I should get for my 1220vs? I was thinking about getting a talon chuck, but I'm open to suggestions and opinions. What pros and cons have you all found with lathe chucks in general? What in specific to which chucks?

thanks all,
    Keith Z. Leonard
    Go Steelers!
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

The Barracuda 2 is a well-reviewed chuck that is an economical alternative to the industry-standard Nova chucks. You would not go wrong with either.

Comment

• Tom Hintz
      • Feb 2004
      • Concord, NC, USA.

I am a long time Talon user and continue to enjoy this chuck every time I use it. Very well made, works easily and to me, it has the best wood screw in the business. I have a full review of it with lots of photos and details at the link below if that would help. I have used the Talon on a 1220 when reviewing that and it worked well with that motor.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/onwytlonrvu.html
      Tom Hintz
      NewWoodworker.com LLC

Comment

• Whaler
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Sequim, WA, USA.
        • DW746

I have both a Nova Midi and a Barracuda Micro that I use on my 1220. I really like the Barracuda and it comes with 3 sets of jaws.
        Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• gerti
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2003
          • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
          • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

The talon is a nice chuck, if I have any complains it would be that the key sometimes require some jiggling to go in. But it is expensive, and so are the jaws.

Last month Craft Supplies was selling to SuperNova2 with 4 free sets of Jaws, that was a great deal.

Comment

Working...