• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • avbclark
    • Jul 2006
    • Cottonwood Heights, UT
    • BT3100 and BT3000

Found a Delta 46-701 Lathe - $ 75

Got a Delta 46-701 lathe for $75.00. I went to Roy UT today to pick it up. We have had quite the storm system the last several days, and got 2 feet of snow in the 48 hours preceeding this morning, so I have not had a chance to set it back up. What should I be looking at, as I am totally green at this. I know the bed needs some work as it has very light surface rust on the unpainted areas. How best to clean it? Paste wax and scotch brite pads?
    Thanks in advance
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

For light surface rust I have had good luck with WD-40 and Scotch Brite pads. Put on a coat of paste way after it is cleaned up.
    Happy turning
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• iceman61
      • Oct 2007
      • West TN
      • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by Whaler
      For light surface rust I have had good luck with WD-40 and Scotch Brite pads. Put on a coat of paste way after it is cleaned up.
      Happy turning
      I do the same here with the exception of an added step of wiping down after the WD-40 with paint thinner and a clean cloth to get the WD-40/rust off of the surface.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
        The Full Monte
        • May 2007
        • Sunshine State
        • BT3000

There are some products (Empire Chemicals, I think) that Woodcraft carries for cleaning and care of table saw tables, but if you've got WD-40, mineral spirits and paste wax, I think they work just as well. If the rust is heavy, use a fine grit flap wheel to knock the bulk of it off, and then hit it with the WD-40.

Comment

• avbclark
          • Jul 2006
          • Cottonwood Heights, UT
          • BT3100 and BT3000

Most of the rust is gone...

I used Scotch Brite and mineral spirits. Most of the rust is gone. There are a few pits. Waxed and ready for use. I am very pleased. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...