X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boblon
    • Aug 2003
    • Florida, USA.

My first bowl

Well, I turned my first bowl this weekend. Took me a while, but am rather pleased with it. I've only turned 3 or 4 things, but this is the first one where I really felt like I used the tool correctly. It was as if the wood WANTED to come away from the block. Was kind of a zen like thing. It is very light due to it being so thin. It just amazes me how little it weights. Anyhow...

BobL.
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

Bob
    It looks great, it's something to be proud of.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

First bowl, Bob????????????
      That's beautiful.
      ken

Comment

• mudder
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • I live in a house
        • Delta 36-650

Very nice figure. Waht type of wood is it? Finish used? how did you sand it?

Mudder

Comment

• boblon
          • Aug 2003
          • Florida, USA.

Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

It is from an 8x8x2 inch piece of Maple. I have another piece that is all quilting, but was afraid to mess that one up on my first attempt. It is also the first time I turned Maple.....turned great.

The finish is ala KWGeorge. Myland cellulose sanding sealer, EEE Ultra Shine and Mylands Friction Polish.

Comment

• sdmaker
            Established Member
            • Feb 2004
            • St. louis, MI, USA.

Nice job!!!!! If thats your first bowl, I think we are gonna have another kwg on our hands. I will look forward to more of your posts. We wont even talk about my first bowl, lol.
            Dave in Michigan
            http://community.webshots.com/user/sdmaker

http://photobucket.com/albums/v166/sdmaker/

Comment

• kwgeorge
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Alvin, TX, USA.

Looks great and what a fantastic finish!

Again I like the form. You are doing very well for sure! My first bowl is my small part funnel (don’t ask!)

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

Great job, Bob. Nice form and grain on this. Its amazing how good a fairly simple design can look. As Norm might say, only 11 more to go. [8D]

I saw a turning show the other night where they were turning aluminum bowls over a wooden form using a spoon tool. It was on DIY. I may shoot for this at some point in the future.

LOML will be joining the turning ranks soon. I have setup my bigger lathe and I will be teaching her how to make pens. Blind leading the blind I suppose. I'll mainly just be teaching a little safety. I have turned a few things before. Not pens and never a bowl that looked as good as yours. Keep it up. I love seeing everybodies finished projects. All of them KW.
                Lee

Comment

• monte
                  Forum Windbag
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
                  • GI 50-185M

Very nice Bob! You sure this is your first one?
                  Monte (another darksider)
                  Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• boblon
                    • Aug 2003
                    • Florida, USA.

Yes, this is my very first bowl.

I thought it turned out well but you guys are starting to worry me. Makes me think I just got lucky or something and my next one will be a disaster. I am still learning how to use the chisels correctly after all. Like I said above, for some reason, while turning this bowl, the wood seemed to WANT to come away from the block. Don't know if it was the alignment of the planets, that particular block of wood or if I had some sort of karmic credit that day........but now I'm a little worried about the next one....hmmmmm.

BobL.

Comment

Working...