• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kwgeorge
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Alvin, TX, USA.

Just a few,

Well I have not been posting as many of my turnings as you may have noticed since I started to feel that everyone was getting a bit bored with them since I turn so much and post pictures so often. So I thought I would slow down and just post things that I felt I did a good job on and am happy with.

In any case here is a couple from this weekend that I really liked.

This was a gift for my little niece that was in town for the holiday. It is made from Granadillo with a Lemonwood finial.

I also inlayed a finial inside the lid to surprise her.

This is an ornament made from hollowed out Marrimba with Redheart finials. I also did a captive ring on this one that is about the size of a nickel. I had to hand carved the back side of the ring and spent a lot of time getting just right.

This one was a surprise as it is Texas Ebony and once I got the wax off I found it to be a slurry of brown colors. This is 3” wide and 5-1/2” tall. I inlayed a Blackwood finial and then Inlayed a Lemonwood finial into that.

Anyhow, thanks for having a look.
  • mudder
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • I live in a house
    • Delta 36-650

quote:Originally posted by kwgeorge

Well I have not been posting as many of my turnings as you may have noticed since I started to feel that everyone was getting a bit bored with them since I turn so much and post pictures so often.

First things first

YOU SUCK!

second, Your turnings are not boring at all. I learn and lust after something in every one that I see. I cannot speak for the other members here but if you won't post pics here than please email them to me.

P.S. I'm anxiously awaiting some threaded boxes and the write up of your box making jig. Stop teasing me Kenneth. []

P.P.S. That last box is terrific, I really like it and it took real skill to inlay an inlay

Mudder

Comment

• Scottydont
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Edmonds, WA, USA.
      • Delta Industrial Hybrid

You keep getting better and better. Can't wait to see what you do with the 2X6 challenge!
      Scott
      "The Laminate Flooring Benchtop Guy"

Edmonds WA

No coffee, no worky!

Comment

• sdmaker
        Established Member
        • Feb 2004
        • St. louis, MI, USA.

quote:Your turnings are not boring at all. I learn and lust after something in every one that I see. I cannot speak for the other members here but if you won't post pics here than please email them to me
        Well said, and I agree. Evertime I check the forum I am just hoping to see the next great turning from you. each one is unique and gives me ideas for things to try myself. "boring" no. inspiring, yes. Keep posting them pics. Gotta be easier than emailing them to everyone one here.

By the way, I love that ornament. the captive ring is a great touch
        Dave in Michigan
        http://community.webshots.com/user/sdmaker

http://photobucket.com/albums/v166/sdmaker/

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Your work boring? Surely you jest, Ken. You have become a master on the lathe, especially on your small turnings. Keep 'em coming...
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

• mudder
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • I live in a house
            • Delta 36-650

quote:Originally posted by sdmaker

... Evertime I check the forum I am just hoping to see the next great turning from you. ..
            Truth be told, Ken is one of the highlights of the weekend. I look forward to Saturday and Sunday nights to see what he’ll come up with next. C’mon Kenneth, I’ll beg and grobble if I have to but it’s not a pretty sight. You keep me inspired especially since my own shop time has been severely limited for the last few months. Post everything you do. In my book you are every bit ad good as Raffan, Stubbs, Stott, and yes, even Dick Sing has stiff competition when you are in the house.

Mudder

Comment

• kwgeorge
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Alvin, TX, USA.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement guys. I was feeling kind of like I had over exposed everyone to my turnings. I love to turn and do it every chance I get. Mudder, the tutorial on the threading jig is coming along pretty good but I have made a lot of scaled drawings that I am trying to get together. I think I have settled of PDF form for them as that will maintain the scale. Should be posting it this week.

Comment

• Whaler
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Sequim, WA, USA.
                • DW746

Ken

I never tire of looking at your creations.
                Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• SteveR
                  Established Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • USA.

[quote]quote:Originally posted by mudder

Truth be told, Ken is one of the highlights of the weekend. I look forward to Saturday and Sunday nights to see what he’ll come up with next. C’mon Kenneth, I’ll beg and grobble if I have to but it’s not a pretty sight. You keep me inspired especially since my own shop time has been severely limited for the last few months. Post everything you do. In my book you are every bit ad good as Raffan, Stubbs, Stott, and yes, even Dick Sing has stiff competition when you are in the house.
                  I could not agree more...your pieces are very inspirational (gets me into that cold, cold shop to play with the lathe) and I too look forward to your posts....so please keep them coming.
                  Also, I was wondering when the ornaments were going to appear....and one finally did .... Too cool.
                  So if your holdin' out on us....I'll blow the whistle and turn you into the picture police....cuz I know where else you post [)]AND I'll "rat you out" to Mudder in a heartbeat!!![8D]
                  Edit for play on words: Remember that ol' saying when we were young and smart....if "Mudder" ain't happy...then nobody is happy? No offense meant to Mr. Mudder just could not resist the play on words!

Comment

• CrashResq
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2003
                    • Okmulgee, OK, USA
                    • Ryobi BT3100

This will keep you posting: Quit posting here (I know where else you post too!), and I'll find a house nearby and be over every night to see what you're working on.... hhhmmmmm not a bad idea.... Any "nerd" jobs available down there?!!!

Keep up the great and inspiring work Ken... I'm one of those that can't wait to see what you've turned over the weekend.

Thanx,

Bill (in OK)
                    Bill (in OK)

Comment

• kwgeorge
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Alvin, TX, USA.

Nerd jobs? Man you are talking to the King of geek!
                      It is amazing how many there are in wood working.

Comment

• boblon
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Florida, USA.

Well, if we're voting..........then I whole heartedly vote for MORE postings. And they are far from boring. Inspirational more like it. And lovely to look at.
                        In fact, I was starting to wonder if things had gone bad for you Ken, and kept you from turning (and posting). Glad to hear things are OK.

An avid fan...

BobL.
                        "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Comment

• Whit
                          Established Member
                          • Apr 2003
                          • Denton, Tx, USA.
                          • BT3000, BT3100

Ken, I agree with all the other posts, your pics are NOT boring. Keep up the good work. I look forward each weekend to see what you have posted. They are inspiring.
                          Whit

Comment

• monte
                            Forum Windbag
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
                            • GI 50-185M

Beautiful work Ken!
                            Monte (another darksider)
                            Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment